Fuji X1 Pro

<p>I bought my Contax G2 in black with the three lenses, 28mm, 45mm, 90mm, I think it was in 1998, or so. I remember the climate, the buzz at the time, it had a certain feeling to it. This x-pro 1, buzz has the same feeling to it, and the irony's between the two cameras will hit you in the face when you look at overall design features, and the way its packaged, with its own 3 lenses with the exact focal length attributes. For some years now in forums, many of us Contax G2 enthusiasts whined to the sky over the abandonment by Kyocera of this wonderful formula. Many sentiments from all over the world envisioned a Contax G2 return with a digital sensor. So, the X-Pro1 is not wearing the Contax brand, but if there was ever a reincarnation of a result in the form of a camera, this is it. Truly an amazing effort by Fuji, in that they are obviously listening to Photographers, and tending to their wishes and needs for this formula. I haven't blown a Wad of money on a camera in a long time. The X-pro1 is tugging hard on my wallet. I dig this camera.</p>

<p>I bought my own G2 and lenses about the same date as Don, but with the Planar 35 mm. <em>f:</em>2 instead of the 45. I use the lenses on the Contax for film and on a Panasonic G1 with the excellent Metabones adapters. It will be great if somebody could make such an adapter for the new X-Pro mount, and I expect, too, some custom framing for the viewfinder into the camera. In that case, taking as truth the rumored lens roadmap for this camera, I will only need the new Fujinons 14, 23 and 70-200 to get all I need for film and digital. I was waiting for this kind of camera during years. I don't mind if the viewfinder is elctronic, if it is good enough, or optic, but I prefer this manual approach than the simulated-manual of the Sony's Nex-7. In image quality, the specs of the Fujifilm sensor and processor seem to outperform (especially in the matter of using symmetrical designed wideangles) the new from Sony.</p>

<p>Leica will not lose sales to the Fuji. Those buyers are the one's who cannot afford a M-9. This is the box and glasses for the poor unwashed shooters like myself! Truth tell the Contax when released was going to wipe the floor with Leica! Well Leica is here and the Contax is dead in water. It was a great system but with difficulties in use esp. with 90mm. i personally happy at Fuji making such a camera and lenses. Way more interesting than Pentax Toy camera or Nikons overpriced V,V1. What i do see that camera makers are heading for the higher end of market. Guess the new rich of China, the final destination.<br>

i personally love the small point and shoot digital cameras for majority of my work and almost totally for pro jobs. Carry a few cameras, some with special features like great B/W(Minolta G600), Early Kodak EasyShare with Kodak sensor for Kodachrome type color , that includes dreaded magenta like Leica M-8 from time to time!, Etc.</p>

<p>I am very interested. Hope it performs as well as the G2's did. Hope the price is around $1000 or less and they should fly out the door. At that price they would give the consumer SLR market a bit of a jolt once people handle the cameras. That is, IF they live up to the hype.<br>

Leica is in trouble as this is what they should have as a complement to the outpriced M9.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<blockquote>

<p><em>Leica will not lose sales to the Fuji. Those buyers are the one's who cannot afford a M-9</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Really? I would own a M9 if not for the poor high ISO performance. So, while waiting for the next gen M9, and still debating whether I should buy the M9 even with the poor high ISO performance, out came the X100. Wow, beauiful sensor, just great performance, I don't need higher res for a hand held camera. </p>

<p>Now the X1 Pro comes out. If it has anywhere near the high ISO of the X100 I will own it and the 3 first lenses. After that, I doubt that Leica would have any chance to sell me a next gen camera no matter what it does. I mostly forgot about the M9 when I got the X100, the X1 Pro could make me totally forget the M9 or later variants. </p>

<p>Certainly there will be X1 Pro buyers who would not be potential Leica M9 buyers. But there will be others, like me, that would be prepared to pay for the performance, if they had done it before Fuji.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Good point, Desmond!<br>

Leslie, why on earth you want an IS in a camera which provides a great high iso performance?</p>

<p>With iso6400 (and this won't be even the highest usable rating) and a prime you snap away at 1/125 and f1.4 at Barry Lyndon's candlelight dinner, when you would have to live with other cams and zooms at usable iso1600 at 1/8 and f2.8!</p>

<p>And even then IS will not save your picture, it is a mere substitute for a tripod. People are moving continuosly, IS will not freeze them.</p>

<p>IS is great in a 400mm f2.8 tele on a monopod, doing sports or wildlife or birds and whistles.</p>

<p>But IMHO, the IS stuff in general application is a marketing plot to make up with slow dumb 10x compact zooms. Many people think they get away with sharper pics. Yes, but only sharp furniture. Life goes on.</p>

<p>Now, for the f4 zooms it might be an idea. This is what Fuji is projecting. Trust them, they have made great products over the whole photographic range!</p>

<p>Remember: Velvia! FP-100c! Fujinon EBC Television lenses! Reala! Neopan! 4th color layer even in consumer films (Superia)...and so on...</p><div>00Zv2V-436375584.thumb.jpg.3b2f8a09df22e1c797a95df11f1f35a9.jpg</div>