50mm f/2.8 Elmar - Pros & Cons...

bob_mac

Good morning,

My father has inquired about the 50mm Elmar. Anything in particular

that makes this lens special? Currently he uses a 50mm f2.0 (wetzlar)

and enjoys it very much. He recently picked up and m7 .72 and would

like another 50mm to compliment it.

So, what are the pros and cons to this lens. Are there any of you

folks out there who have any photos using this lens that you could

post.

I say go f/1.4 (!), but he likes the idea of his camera becomming

more "pocketable".

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Bob

I've borrowed a friend's fairly extensively. For a start it really is beautiful to look

at - a real design classic. The handling is a bit iffy for me. I love lens tabs but

the feel of this one (and the infinity lock) meant I didn't get on with it - I ended

up holding it as if it didn't have a tab. It seems very good at f4, a bit flarey at

f2.8 and in general gives a more "old-fashioned" feel to pictures than the

latest stuff. It's only handy in space terms if you use no hood and no filter -

then it goes nice and small and is a joy to carry with you. It's not as sharp as

the latest summicron (but then not much is), but it's a lovely thing to have as a

flat-pack solution. The price of these seems to vary wildly. If you can get one

cheap then risk the no filter option and enjoy. Once they start getting

expensive you'll probably put a filter in front and maybe a hood and then it

seems a bit daft not to get something newer. (Of course the latest one is much

sharper but with hood and filter (to labour the point!) it's not much shorter than

the latest summicron)

You must be talking about the old one. The current collapisible 50/2.8 does not have a focus tab or an infinity lock nor does the barrel rotate when focused. But with a filter and the screw-on hood it is not much shorter than a 50/2 when collapsed, and it's one stop slower and not quite as good optically. I had one and sold it.

Thats the only 50mm I use, but 50mm is not my most used lens by far. Stephen sums up very much the important bits. I don't really understand Bill Mitchel's comment: The lens barrel doesn't rotate when you focus, at least on my lens. I do like the lens quality (probably not as good as the 'cron though).

Do a search on the 'Discussion forums' and you'll get a load of threads (your question pops up regularily on this forum).

Hi,

I have this lens (50 2.8) and I have to admit its a love - hate relationship. I love how small it is (with no filter & hood, it is almost like having no lens on the body), love the way it looks (its a beautiful design), and have to admit that I love the pictures it takes.

However, the fact that the the barrel rotates when you focus can make it a bit of a pain (forget using a polarizer).

Overall, if I had to recomend a small collap. lens, this would be the one.

Cheers,

Phillip

I've got this lense also. I don't know if there is an "old" one, but I bought mine new, about a year ago.

It's really not much of a space saver unless you leave the hood behind. BUT, you CAN leave the hood behind pretty easily. Mine is not prone to flare so far as I've noticed.

My barrel does NOT rotate when focusing, even though there is no discernable "click" into position when extending the lens... extending and focusing are two different operations.

I've used a polarizer on this lense with ease.

I've NEVER had a noticeable sharpness issue with ANY leica lens ( I've got a 28, 35, two 50's, a 90 and a 135mm). But then again, I have never considered a photo really good, just because it was perfectly sharp.

All in all, it's a great lens. It is one stop slower than the Summicron, but that's never bothered me in the least. I've never missed a photo op by ONE stop.

So, unless your father is planning take photos of razor blades standing on end, I'd go for it. It's a great convenience to be able to carry this lens in your pocket if needed and it works like a charm.

I tend to think that even the "worst" Leica lens is still miles ahead of most manufacturers "best" lenses, and, for MY USE, its more important to capture a great photo, than worry about whether or not the details on a gnats behind is perfectly sharp.

(By the way, I've found that my M6, with the hoodless 50/2.8 fits nicely into the breast pocket of a winter jacket or the side pocket of a pair of cargo pants).

good luck.

I have the 50mm Elmar-M (latest), which I bought at a camera show. This dealer did not have a 50 cron at the time, which was what I was looking for. But the price was very reasonable and I have been quite happy with this little lens.

If you can get this lens $150-200 cheaper than a 50mm Cron, I'd say go for it. It does look very retro and collapses to a small package. My main complaint has been that, after f/8, it is not as easy to finely set the aperture. I use a hand held meter, accurate to 1/10 stop. Between f/11 & f/16, you need to be pretty careful to set it to f/11.5. If you try to set it to f/11.7, it wants to drop into f/16. If you want to set it to f/11.2, it wants to go back to f/11. As for sharpness comparison with the 50mm cron, I think the cron is only sharper at f/2. People say the cron is sharper, but Popular Photography and other people making tests find this lens running neck-and-neck with the 50 cron.

If you go to www.Google.com, you can enter this: "Horsing around with the 50mm Elmar-M" (Use the quotation marks) There are 3 shots I made with the 50mm Elmar-M.

The 50 Elmar is a fine little lens. It may not resolve as many lp/mm as the latest Summicron, but unless you're shooting test charts who cares? The Elmar, like all Tessar-derived designs in the 50mm range, produces pleasing images. Pics taken with it just look good. My Elmar is the f/3.5 version and dates from the late 1940s. I use it on an old IIIf...this is the combo I put in my jacket pocket when I leave the house every morning.

-Dave-

<<even though there is no discernable "click" into position when extending the lens...>>

After extending, turn the extended part clockwise (looking at the front element)to the stop...no click but the lens will not collapse unintentionally.

fwiw i swapped a rigid Summicron 30 yrs ago for my collapsible Summicron.I have been able to sneak my camera into many places and events.It fits into strong jacket pockets or cargo pants.

i have used the older 50mm Elmar.Its not as sharp...maybe new one better,but it is a good lens.

Plus factor-i used it also for enlarging!

I have both the old version and new version of the Elmar. The old one is frustrating to use, as people have pointed out, with the rotating barrel and such like. The new current version is however a joy to use, and it is a favourite lens of mine. You loose the extra f stop to a 'cron, but thats all in practical terms. The image quality is as good as the 50mm 'cron, and the lens (minus hood) is truly pocketable. I haven't noticed any real flare using it without the hood (obviously pointing it at the sun would disprove this), and the ergonomics are excellent.

BOB, just a personal note for your Dad (almost everything is personal here, and that's fine). If you want (he wants) a 50 and something small and comfortable, try and get a penultimate 2/50 (code 11819). This 2/50 "second version" was issued 1979-1994, and had a tab and a detachable hood. Almost as small as the Elmar. Look for a S/N of 3261401 or later ("last i.e. third improvement issue" started in 1983). Hurry up and you can get him one as a Christmas present.