Got my gear stolen...do I stay with Canon?

mike_l9

<p>If I was replacing your stolen equipment I would get a Canon 60D body with the Canon 10-22mm, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 non VC and the Canon 55-250mm IS. Smaller, lighter weight with a lot less money tied up while keeping 90% or more of image quality. I was surprised when I read a recent review of the 55 to 300mm lenses in that range that the reviewer liked the 55-250mm IS Canon best of the lot including both the Canon and Tamron 70-300mm IS or VC lenses. JMNHO of course. Good luck!</p>

<p>I strongly prefer the NEX-7 to all other cameras I have used when using lenses of around normal focal length. Mirrorless cameras can use just about anything, and if you're cool with manual focusing, it opens up a whole new world of lenses. There are things I don't like about it, like the high ISO performance or AF ability relative to the 7D or other cameras, but on the whole I prefer it.</p>

<p>However, it is not the least bit comfortable to use with longer lenses. And even if Sony makes a bigger grip for it, I think it's a waste of money - why buy a smaller camera so that you can turn around and make it bigger?</p>

<p>I would get the NEX-7 if you mostly use smaller, 'normal' lenses, like 24mm-85mm, especially if you like primes. If you used your 70-200 a lot, I think it's a no-brainer: stick with the Canon system.</p>

<p>There has been a lot of talk about Sony video lately too, but I don't think you can really have a good comparison. I think the video in the NEX-7 is as good or better than anything else in that price range. Yes, "Canon cameras" do better video than "Sony cameras", but that is largely because "Canon cameras" include full-frame cameras with video, while "Sony cameras" do not. Apples to apples, I think the only real difference between them, aside from personal preference, is size and lens selection vs. AF/ISO performance and large lens balance.</p>

<p>7D with 70-200 f4 IS (lighter lens than 2.8, and very sharp), or just get a rebel body with a 55-250 and other lenses etc. When I first had my 40D, I bought the 55-250, and was surprised at how sharp it was, and very cheap to buy! If you are already used to Canon, why change systems so easily if you have been happy with your 7D etc.</p>

<p>The Sony NEX system to me is a neither here no there solution. Price wise it is the same or maybe more expensive than a Rebel system sans the L glass. Size wise, it's just a tad smaller and lighter but hardly pocketable.</p>

<p>If I wanted small camera I would buy the micro 4/3 system (Panasonic or Oly). If I want better quality, I would get the Rebel or similar Nikon.</p>

<p>If the 70-200 f/2.8 IS is a pain, may I suggest my favorite lens, the 70-200 f/4L, it's considerably lighter (I was able to get my hands on a 70-200 f/2.8 and it's significantly clunkier and heavier than my previous f/4L).<br>

I have no problems using my 70-200f/4L indoors at ISO 800, fully open, at around 1/200. So depending on whether or not you absolutely need that wide aperture and IS, you might want to consider a lighter (and cheaper) alternative. Also I have a rather poor ISO noise level, so with a more modern camera you shouldn't have an issue pushing the ISO up further.</p>