What to buy if you`d like the best 4x5 field cam?

milan_simon

<p>Although I am very happy with my Wista metal field camera, and will probably never sell it, I now recall that I used to lust after a Toyo VX125 in the special jade green finish. That might be my ultimate camera for use in the field (although it might not technically be called a field camera).</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<P><P>Not many dedicated analog camera stores left, most having gone digital. Check what you have locally, say within a 100 mile radius, or inquire at the small chains about trade-ins. Then check the internet, sometimes Craig's list has LF product for sale, and finally FleaBay.</P></P>

<P><P>Good deals can be had on FleaBay. I picked up, mind you on impulse - because I was looking for a lower cost system too, an Ebony SV45TE (lovingly taken care of) with a 90 Caltar, 150 & 250 Fujinons, 30 double sided holders, ND center filter for the 90, other filters, dark cloth, silvestri loupe, cable releases, Ebony lens shade, (2) Polaroid backs, Misc. items, Slik Pro aluminum & Berlbach (sp) tripods, LowePro bag, LF book & some film for a song... $0.30/ dollar.<?P></P>

<P><P>In fact, about 2 weeks ago I saw someone sell the same camera body I have for $999, of course you still have to assemble all the other parts and pieces, but that's the fun part!</P></P>

<P><P>I have since added a pre-owned Horseman folding reflex viewer and am awaiting delivery of a Toyo Field 45A compendium hood. Then it's off to Japan for custom fitting, and hopefully by Spring, I will be in emulsion heaven!</P></P>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I've been using a Linhof Technica 5 for the past few years, as well as a Cambo Legend, and I far prefer the Technica for ease of use, precision, utility and just the feel of total technical competence.</p>

<p> An old quote from somewhere, I forget where, "If Leica were to put out a large-format model, it would be a Linhof."</p>