Fisheye FOV on crop body

rjpierrard

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I'm wondering how to calculate the FOV of a fisheye lens as you introduce crop factor.<br />I have a giant spreadsheet that will calculate a rectilinear lens FOV, but it obviously doesn't work with fisheye lenses.</p>

<p>I'm looking at two options here, FX->DX (eg using a Nikon 16/2.8), or DX->4/3 (eg the Pro-Optic 8/3.5).<br />Both are rated at 180* without a crop factor, but as I'm working on designing a multi-format setup, I'm wondering what the options for fisheyes are.</p>

<p>Also, I'm wondering if it's possible to put an extension tube inbetween a fisheye lens and the body and still be able to use it (as a functional macro lens with wide FOV). I've tried it with the Tokina 11-16/2.8 on my D90, but that setup didn't work out. </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>You would have to know what projection a particular fisheye lens uses to calculate its exact angle of view on a DX or Micro Four Thirds body. Not all fisheyes are exactly the same. See this article at Wikipedia and scroll down to "Mapping Function":</p>

<p><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisheye_lens">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisheye_lens</a></p>

<p>I have never tried using an extension tube with a zoom lens, but I'm not sure the results would always be what you expect. I would think it should work with a prime fisheye, but it would have to be a fairly short extension tube since fisheye lenses have very short focal lengths.</p>

<p>I use my extension tube quite frequently on the 28-80 I've got, and it works beautifully; the tube itself is I think 20mm or so.</p>

<p>Thanks for the link - it has a formula on it that gives 170* for a 16mm fisheye on FX, but I can't seem to get it to work on DX: 8mm is given as 251*.</p>

<p>I'm sure some formulas can be found on the internet to calculate the effect of an extension tube with a fisheye lens but expect the focus to be very close to the lens, even inside the lens. OK for pictures of bugs inside the lens but of no practical use.<br>

I couldn't resist testing it with a Peleng 8 mm fisheye, Canon 12 mm extension tube on a EOS 10D. It's not possible to get anything in focus. Test completed succesfully: conclusion is that this combination has no use.</p>

<p>Yes, my 16/3.5 FE (170 deg. on FX) gives about a 18mm FOV on DX as I recall. I used my 16mm FE on my DX camera all the time because there was no other lens as small/light that gives that FOV on DX. Yes the distortion is not great, but for many subjects it's just fine. After some light distortion correction it became a roughly 20mm equivalent FOV on FX, which is plenty wide for many instances.</p>

<p>John</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>> Also, I'm wondering if it's possible to put an extension tube inbetween a fisheye lens and the body and still be able to use it (as a functional macro lens with wide FOV). I've tried it with the Tokina 11-16/2.8 on my D90, but that setup didn't work out. <br>

Try handholding the lens unmounted directly in front of the body ;) <br>

The shortest Nikon extension tube is the old K1 ring from the K1-K5 set, 5.6mm. Absolutely manual, no aperture coupling. Fits modern cameras fine, but is very tight on the lens electrical contacts (one should shave off a bit of brass there). </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Also, I'm wondering if it's possible to put an extension tube inbetween a fisheye lens and the body and still be able to use it (as a functional macro lens with wide FOV). I've tried it with the Tokina 11-16/2.8 on my D90, but that setup didn't work out.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You'd have to use the absolute thinnest extension tube - I've never tried it with my 16/3.5 AI on my D700 - I have the PK-11a. Perhaps I'll try it this afternoon and report back.</p>