HiRes Pano Delima

jmcneil

<p>Hello,<br>

Recently I've been doing a lot of landscapes and I got a job request from some of my personal work. </p>

<p>The client wants a huge panoramic photograph to span two walls in his house. It's an impressive space one wall is 40ft x 10ft and the other wall is 24ft x 10ft (rough estimates for here). </p>

<p>I've done some large format panoramas before so getting the print resolution correct isn't a problem and I got the right gear for the job so we're set.</p>

<p>The trick is that the client specifically told me he doesn't want the photograph to feel like a bent panorama turning from one wall to the next. He wants to feel like he's there, like there's no walls, like the seam in the corner doesn't exist. He explained to me that since the space has no windows he wants to feel like he's looking out of two windows in his house. He even suggested planning a tree in the final photograph to cover the bend in the wall. I thought this was creative. </p>

<p>Anyway, do any of you fine people have any experience with this or any suggestions? Am I looking at some sort of forced perspective technique to achieve this? Would including more of the foreground help, or a low angle shot going deep into the horizon line so a bend appears lest evident? Or maybe even cutting part of the final image to anticipate the bend in the wall?</p>

<p>I've also thought about taking one pano then moving center points and taking the other pano then finding a way to stitch the merging points. Yes, I'm already using stitching software for the pano, but I thought this might increase the effect that you're looking from two distinct points or instead of a single point or "bent panorama." Obviously paying attention to content will matter. </p>

<p>The client did show me a photograph of what he was talking about from a hospital he worked at once and what he didn't want. I'll see if I can get those from him and post them here.<br /><br /><br /><br>

Thank you in advance, any advice will help, as always, each project presents it's own set of unique learning opportunities.<br>

Looking forward to a creative discussion. :)<br>

-J.</p>

<p>I think what you want is essentially two separate panoramas that merge in the middle (at the tree). Take one panorama centered as if looking out a window in one wall, and the other oriented 90 degrees to the first, as if looking out a window in the other wall. The left edge of one panorama needs to merge with the right edge of the other panorama. I think that this is most easily accomplished and probably look the most realistic if the lateral field of view of the panorama on the 40 ft. wall is 90 degrees. The field of view on the 24 ft. wall will then be foreshortened, with it's edge adjacent to the other panorama at 45 degrees from the axis perpendicular to the wall. Try drawing a sketch of the geometry of the panoramas before taking any photographs.</p>

<p>Glenn,</p>

<p>Thank you for the response. I have thought of this scenario, but one thing keeps bugging me. If I move my location and snap another shot from mid point of a different subject in the same location, then merge the two together, what's to prevent parallax error? Say for instance my reference point for the edge is a bush, if I photograph the bush from point A, it's one size in the photograph, if I go to point B, it becomes a different size... or is that my reference point for where the subject is going to be situated, the corner that is... do I make sure that the bush is X distance from the camera for both panoramas? X being distance measured of focal point in final location of print. </p>

Jared,

The way that I was visualizing taking the two panoramas is to take them both from the same camera position, just rotate

the camera, one series of photos combined for the first panorama, which would be renderd as rectilinear in Photoshop or

whatever, and the same approach for the second series. They should merge correctly at the corner if the 45 degree

angles of view at the corner are maintained because, from symmetry, the distortion of the left edge of one photo should

match the distortion of the right edge of the other. Hard to explain, so I will try to post a sketch of what I have in mind

when I get home (if I ever get out of LAX, where I am presently delayed and delayed). it's an interesting problem that I

may have to try for myself just figure it out.