90mm Summicron - filter ring unscrews with filter

Kent Shafer

<p>Today I received from KEH a 90mm Summicron (EX+) and a 48mm skylight filter.* The lens is chrome, with a built-in collapsible hood, serial no. 1983xxx. It's a beautiful thing, and I'm looking forward to shooting pictures with it soon.</p>

<p>When I screwed on the filter, however, and then unscrewed it again, the lens's filter ring (or bezel, or whatever it's called—the ring with the lettering on it) unscrewed with the filter. I hadn't screwed the filter in particularly tightly, and it was easy enough to separate the filter from the ring and then to reattach the ring, using the filter as a sort of handle. I think I could live with this issue now that I'm aware of it, and I won't be removing the filter very often anyway, but is this a normal or acceptable phenomenon? Should I return the lens to KEH?</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Kent</p>

<p>* I'm normally in the no-protective-filter camp. But given the reputation these old Leica lenses have for easily acquiring scratches and cleaning marks, I make an exception for them.</p>