OK . . .What's coming next from Nikon? Best guesses?

raylewis

<p>I'm beginning to get serious about a next high-end, serious amateur Nikon digital SLR purchase, and am looking for anyone's "best guess" view about what and when Nikon might be bringing to market in 2012. Anything in the works akin to Sony's translucent mirror, or Canon's 24 fps burst? Potential buyer would like to know . . . thanks!</p>

<p>Raymond -</p>

<p>Only Nikon and the photographers lucky enough to test their products know what is coming for sure... and one of those two groups has no idea when.</p>

<p>Neither group is allowed to talk - so - there is no point in guessing what is coming. Nikon Rumors dot net may be a good place for you to look. Although consensous seems to indicate that there is an announcement of some kind coming from Nikon this week, timed for the start of the CES. </p>

<p>If you have something you need to shoot today, buy what is available. If you don't have anything pressing to shoot - wait for something better (or newer).<br>

Dave</p>

<p>With absolutely no disrespect or offense meant, shut up and shoot. The only glass I have is in lenses, not crystal balls, so our guess is as good as yours. Speaking of glass, with no insight your to current equipment, its probably a better time to buy some nice glass than a nice body till something actually gets announced.</p>

<p>Raymond, don't bother yourself with rumor-mongering. If Nikon has a camera with the features you like, buy it. If another company does, buy that. It seems that from your question, that you should maybe just invest in a beginner's setup, and learn more about photography than waiting for the next greatest thing that will drive casual photographers in droves to the Best Buy and Wal-Mart store shelves. I can guarantee that the D3100 or Canon T3 is more camera than you'll be able to handle for the first two years of your DSLR journey.</p>

<p>I am surprised nobody seems to remember that Nikon's flag-ship F series cameras are on 8-year production cycles. For example, the F4 was announced in 1988 for the Seoul Olympics, F5/1996 Atlanta Olympics, and F6/2004 Athens Olympics. It should be obvious that the F7 is due for the London summer games.</p>

<p>"Sense of rumor." I chortled.</p>

<p>My sense of rumor tells me to remind Nikon that I really want a Nikon Digital-S with real optical rangefinder, DX sensor at a minimum.</p>

<p>But I suspect Shun's F7 is more likely to appear. Hopefully it will include gold plated reloadable 35mm film cassettes and a 100 foot spool of genuine Kodak Tri-X for collectors.</p>

<p>My predictions:<br /> NX3 with alluring but buggy software.<br /> Also, now that Nikon has begun to produce interchangeable lens cameras with sensors in three different sizes, which adds to the company's costs, I expect them to produce (or obtain from Sony) an elastic sensor which can be left at its native size (Nikon 1) or stretched to fit its intermediate size (DX) or largest (FX) sensor cameras. The properties of silicon used in computer chips (including sensors) will be thus be combined with those used in bathroom caulk.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>With absolutely no disrespect or offense meant, shut up and shoot. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>I know that's a typical response to be expected here, but some of us do plan our system purchases according to what's next. Myself, I'm holding my breath for a new S4 or SP2.</p>