A good deal?...

plangereis

<p>I am presently trying to sell a set of Hensel Lights for my sister. She bought them off a photographer to use at the high school she teaches at. She realized they are too big for her room, and thus the present situation...I have them. Well, after trying to sell them for a while, I still have them. I have been getting into portrait work over the past year, and thought that I should purchase them. So I mention this to my sister, and she said i could have them for $!200, and pay for them over the next year at $100 per month. My question is should I buy them, and is $1200 a good deal. The kit contains:<br>

2 umbrellas with removable black backing (43" and 60")<br>

1 30" x 40" photoflex softbox<br>

2 ten foot Manfrotto stands (air cushioned)<br>

sync cords<br>

1 500w strobe (goes down to 1/16th power) stepless<br>

1 1000w strobe (goes down to 1/16 power) stepless<br>

This is an older kit that was purchased in 2003 from a professional camera store in Vancouver, BC. The lights are said to be very lightly used, but I cannot confirm that.<br>

Anyway, I am hoping that some people out there who know their lighting kits would be able to shed some advice on whether or not this is a good deal, and would these be too powerful for my needs. I have 2 speedlites with stand and umbrellas right now, that work fine for what I am doing now. I shoot outdoors, hence the speedlite setup for portabliity. However, the speedlites are not very powerful, and probably not the best for large group shots. I am also thinking of continuing portrait work into my retirement, and possible setting up a studio (or at least renting one for some work).<br>

My only other option is to not buy this kit, and spend less on another cheaper light kit in the future, but I keep hearing that you get what you pay for, and that better brand name kits are more reliable and last longer than the cheaper kits. Some advice would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>Hensel is one of the top brands in lighting. they are made in Germany and are more well known in Europe than the USA or Canada.</p>

<p>A set of mono-lights from 2003 probably are analog controls, and do not utilize the more modern digital technology of the Hensel Integra Pro Plus series of mono-lights.</p>

<p>I have two digital 500w/s Integra Pro Plus mono-light demos that I bought from Hensel USA for $500. each. A NEW digital controlled Hensel Integra Pro mono-light kit in a roller bag with two 500 w/s units, stands, reflectors, umbrellas, and a 17.7 X 25.6 softbox is $1,399 including free shipping:</p>

<p>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/368141-REG/Hensel_7048815E_Integra_Pro_2_Monolight.html</p>

<p>If you could get the kit you listed for about $950, it would be a fair deal IMO.</p>

<p>No, it is not too much light ... you can dial down powerful lights, you cannot dial up weaker ones. You can buy batteries to power the mono-lighs on location. </p>

<p>There are other new choices for lighting on the market now ... like those from Paul C Buff ... which are economical and have lots of nice features. IMO, they are not built like Hensels nor have the rugged reputation, yet. However, many use them and are quite happy.</p>

<p>You have been trying to sell these lights...they haven't sold...so, you ask...is the price too high?</p>

<p>Well, of course...the price is too high. $800 is even a tad high. <br /> Get these from your sister for under $700. If not, give them back to your sister; let her sell them...move on.</p>

<p>Replacement flashtubes for Hensels can be very expensive, when the time comes...and replacement time may be coming.</p>