Need help deciding.

jenkins

<p>I am turning myself inside out with my next move, I have 2 lenses a 50mm 1.8 and and a 16-85, that's it.</p>

<p>To be totally honest although I don't have a ton of lenses I get by on them and don't find myself wanting too much. However I am going to be buying soon and it's going to be the new 85 1.8 prime for portraits, i know I would benefit from this and I love the quality primes give you.</p>

<p>This is where the dilemma kicks in, I would also like a new flash as i have read so many good reviews of the SB700, It would mean I could have a two light set up too because I already have the SB600 which I don't any complaints about.</p>

<p>These are my two options, I'm not interested in any other lenses. What would you do?</p>

<p>Not seeing a dilemma here - just get both. A dilemma could arise if you had to choose between the two. In which case the question would be whether you do need a two light setup and whether it has to be with an rather expensive SB-700. There are cheaper options available - depending on how much comfort you are willing to give up.<br>

I am waiting until more is known about the 85/1.8G AF-S - then it will be decision time whether to keep the 85/1.8D or trade. Am afraid the answer will be the same as when I had to choose between keeping the 50/1.8D and trading it for the 50/1.8G - it really was no contest.</p>

<p>It would help to know what camera you have. If you have one with a crop factor (one that's not full-frame), then the 85mm lens would be like having a 127mm lens, which is pretty long for doing portraits. In that case I'd stick with your 50mm and get the flash.<br>

If you're shooting mostly in studio and not doing alot of location shots where you need portability, you might want to look at Alien Bees if you're thinking of growing a studio light setup. You could get one for less money than the SB700, and Buff has the attachment you'd need for your SB600 so that you could use it wirelessly as a fill or hair light with the studio flash and Cybersyncs.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It would help to know what camera you have. If you have one with a crop factor</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Since Simon's other lens is a 16-85, it is safe to assume that he is using a DX camera. In a studio, the 85mm could indeed be a tad long - outside it's perfect. <br>

Simon, then wait until more is known about the 85/1.8G. And as I said, there are flashes available for $50 or thereabouts.</p>

<p>Yes I have a d7000.</p>

<p>I'm outside most of the time, what I would like from a lens is to get in a lot closer on the subject almost fill the frame. I love the 50 but all too often I find i have more space than I wanted around the subject and end up cropping in to achieve the desired result.</p>

<p>I will only go for the sb700 not anything else, that looks like a very nice flash to me and straight forward to use which is attractive. Devon I like the portability of flashes and also I am living abroad studio lights would be a pain to transport back to my home one day.</p>

<p>I have no experience of third party lenses Leslie, i can see why you would suggest that focal length and multi purpose too.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Knowing where he does the portraits would help, and how much portability he needs. I actually now have THREE flash systems. For quick on the go stuff, I use a Nikon SB-900 off camera. The iTTL is fast and it's very portable--fits in a pouch. When I need more power and more points of light, I have x7 Nikon SB-28 flash. These are older flash and cost about $75 on e Bay. I shoot them in manual mode using CyberSync triggers. I meter with a flash meter, another $100. For "static" shots such as most formal portraits are, the older manual flash will work just great. For the same amount of money as an SB-700 I get twice as much light. My third system is x7 White Lightning X3200 monolights plus battery packs for each. This is a TON of light! I can light up just about anything. (I shoot trains at night.) I mix and match the SB-28 with the X3200 as needed, too. I agree that if someone is very into portraits, the Alien Bee B1600 bought used and fired with manual radio triggers (such as CyberSyncs) is the way to go. You have plenty of power to cope with harsh sunlight, softboxes, etc., and can get quite creative with your shots. Portraits are all about using light.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I am waiting too on a write up on the 85mm .</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>I would also like a new flash as i have read so many good reviews of the SB700.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think your own words point to the choice. Both would be nice, of course, and both would be good for what you want. But there are enough reports about the SB700 that you know it's good. The decision, for now, should be simple. In the future, maybe you'll pick up an 85mm.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have both SB600 and SB700.... and the SB700 is so much more joy to use. There is nothing wrong with the SB600, but once you use the interface of the new one, you'll find there is actually soemthing very wrong with the old one.<br>

In Europe, prices for the SB700 are not that steep anymore. I paid ~€40 more for my SB700 than I did for the SB600 (both bought new); at that price, though, the SB700 already includes a diffusion dome which costed me €20 extra for the SB600. Maybe US prices are different, but in my view at current prices, the SB700 is not that overpriced anymore. For what I paid, I'm surely happy with it.</p>

<p>And yes, the new 85 f/1.8 remains a question mark. Given the differences I see between my 50 f/1.8D and f/1.8G... if the new one takes an equal step, it's going to be a very sweet lens. But for the price it sells at, first some real reviews, I'd say.</p>

<p>I think the sb700 is about $100 more here in the States, Wouter. I had heard there was very little difference between the f/1.8D and f/1.8G? I too am following the thinking that this new 85mm will be a good step up from the old one, we will have to see.</p>