• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>

<p>Bill Tuthill wrote:<br>

It costs more than the Panasonic GH2</p>

</blockquote>

<p>But less than the GH3. And less than the GH2 when it was released. When the E-M6 is released a little later than a year from now, it will also cost less than it as its price will have gone down by then.<br>

I think the E-M5 is smaller than the GH2, but other than that, you're right, it brings nothing except its charming retro look. However, I'd hazard a guess that <em>photographers</em> will be more inclined to purchase the Olympus while <em>videographers</em> will purchase the Panny. That's my hunch :-)</p>

<p><em>What does the E-M5 bring to the table? It costs more than the Panasonic GH2, lacks onboard flash, and otherwise has almost exactly the same specs....</em><br /><em></em><br />You need to look a little closer, and maybe read the specifications...</p>

<p>Improved in-body 5 axis stabilization, and for ANY lens you want to use, AF or manual focus, and this new stabilization also stabilizes the finder, too, eliminating one of the advantages of the GH2..... when used with a lens that has the built-in OIS.</p>

<p>The included clip-on flash allows for remote TTL work with accessory units. The GH2's built-in flash does not.</p>

<p>The accessory two-part grip is a huge addition to this system for those who want the convenience of the vertical release and added battery capacity.</p>

<p>Every Olympus to this point has done a better job processing JPEG files using the same sensor Panasonic uses. For JPEG shooters, I expect this to remain the same compared to the G3 and GX1 (GH2 uses a different sensor).</p>

<p>The GH2 has been out there at this point for a while, so comparing the current price of a GH2 to a brand new Olympus model is just a little lame. When it was first new, the GH2 was more expensive than it is now, and you can bet on the GH3 being more expensive than the E-M5.</p>

<p>In an interview with an Olympus exec he said that it didn't have focus peaking because it isn't that useful—because magnification view is better.</p>

<p>Translation: Olympus haven't developed focus peaking and are forced to pretend it's not useful in order to save face.</p>

<p>The Ricoh/Pentax focus peaking is a different implementation to the Sony peaking, and it's possible both are proprietary and patented, which would put Olympus in a difficult situation should they want to develop their own as they'd have to somehow do it without infringing other's patents. If focus peaking is like face-detection (a third party software licensed by each camera brand) then Olympus would just need to pony up the licensing fees.</p>

<p>For the moment, the E-M5 has the same manual focus aid as all the other Oly micro-4/3: Magnification of a part of the FoV. This is fine for static shooting, but not for shooting moving objects.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Any word on what exactly the manual assist is on the OM-D?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The MF assist of Pen cameras works like this: you select an area of the screen where you want to focus on (like selecting AF point on an SLR) and then the camera zooms in to that area whenever you rotate the focusing ring; you stop and it shows you the full frame for checking the composition. You can switch like this back and forth to check composition and focus - works pretty well.</p>

<p>For completely MF lenses, this does not work, because the camera cannot sense the rotation of the focusing ring. However, you can always manually zoom in and out of the image using dedicated buttons. It's like the assist, only manual.</p>

<p>In addition to this, I found the LCD of my E-PL2 camera to be very helpful in determining focus even without zooming in. With the risk of shocking some people, I have to say that I found it about as reliable as an OVF. On static subjects with the zooming in capability, I can focus more accurately than I ever did with an SLR. This aspect is what convinced me that it is time to move away from SLRs.</p>

<p>For static wide shots that should be sufficient. I tend to use my 16mm fisheye for candids with friends, but considering the 2.0 crop that lens would be of little use anyways, with or without peaking.<br>

I strongly disagree with it being of little use though as the Oly rep says. It will shelve my 28 & 40mm Zuiko's, two fine pieces of glass I would use otherwise. It's not a deal breaker, but I did look longingly at the NEX7 after hearing that. Other buyers may not have the Oly bias I do.</p>

<p>I have to say I'm leaning towards black, reminds me of my much loved OM3</p>

<blockquote>

<p>This 5-axis stabilization thing? Pentax has had it since the K-7 in 2009, or before.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Working hard at starting urban legends, eh? :)</p>

<p>The Pentax system compensates for three types of movement - horizontal, vertical, and rotation around optical axis. The Olympus system further adds yaw and pitch compensation.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Miserere Mei , Feb 06, 2012; 12:16 p.m. <br>

Are you sure that's the case? It would seem silly it it is.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes it is. I am sure.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Sanford Edelstein Feb 04, 2012; 11:11 p.m. <br>

It needs to be a least as big as the original OM or it is going to seem like a tiny toy camera. Has anyone come across the dimensions.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>ok, Look <a href="http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/omd-em5/omd-em5A.HTM">here</a>. It's about the same size, being a smidge taller at the hump. But i seen another site with actual dimensions and along side the OM-4 showing it about the same as the OM-4 . I just cant find the link. It is after all a continuation of the professional OM line, with the OM-4 being the last. I suppose that's why they designated it the E-M5</p>

<p> </p>

<p>For those wondering about its size, <a href="http://www.dslrmagazine.com/images/stories/Digital/E-M5-135-up/EF-1-OM-D-tamagnos-600.jpg">click here</a> to see an Olympus family photo with measurements.</p>

<p>I would say the body itself (not counting the mount or viewfinder is about the same thickness and height for both the E-M5 and OM-4, while the E-M5 is 1.5 cm (0.6") less wide.</p>