Canon 100mm f/2.8 (f/5.6 @ 1:1) macro vs Tamron 180mm f/3.5

tal_sarih

<p>(For some reason I can't edit my previous post so I'll just post another one).</p>

<p>I am after, only, PURE optical performance. I use MF most of the time. I am (usually) not shooting in the rain, only maybe on slight dropage... Does the 180 has FTM? Does it have slow, fast AF? Noisy, quiet AF? Great optics, poor optics? Better than the 100mm or worse? In what aspect? How is the bokeh compared to eachother?</p>

<p>There are reviews of these and other macros at <a href="http://www.photozone.de/reviews">Photozone.de</a>.</p>

<p>You are comparing apples and oranges in some sense, since the main and overwhelming difference between these two lenses is that they are quite different focal lengths. Depending on what kind of macro you are doing, longer is better for things that can move.</p>

<p>Bugs move when things loom over them unless they are dead or stunned. On that basis alone, you should probably go to the 180mm.</p>

<p>The true comparison to a Tamron lens for the Canon 100mm is the superb, and cheaper, Tamron 90mm Macro lens. <em>As I say, look at the sharpness, etc., data on Photozone.de</em>. That will give you some data that are not entirely subjective and anecdotal.</p>

<p>But the data is (are) single sample. Lenses vary, maybe not by much, but they aren't all exactly the same. The data there is (are) not <em>entirely</em> anecdotal, but their numbers are not 100% repeatable representative scientifically derived and verified either.</p>

<p>The ONLY way you will be able to tell is to buy both lenses, shoot with them under the conditions you intend to shoot with them, and return the one that you find is least sharp.</p>

<p>Bokeh is subjective at best. It depends on the focus distance and the distance of the background, as well as aperture. Too many variables. At best you can say which looks better to you - at a given focus distance, a given background distance and a given aperture.</p>

<p>You're worrying about the wrong thing in my opinion, but you're free to worry about whatever you want, be it sharpness or focusing speed. You are either over-thinking or under-thinking this, I'm not quite sure which.</p>

<p>I'd buy the Canon EF 100/2.8L IS USM for a bunch of reasons, not necessarily including sharpness or focus speed.</p>

<h1 > </h1>

<p>I am shooting bugs even befor the sun rises, so they are quite frozen... They wont move, so that's not a problem. Today I went to a shooting session in Rishon Le'Zion's lake in Israel (a really nice place) and shot some flys, lady-bug, and a little snail :) Used my friend's 60mm Macro at 1:1, it was realllly close to them but they can't really move...</p>

<p>I want to know mainly if the 100mm is better overall compared to the 180mm. Again, does the 180mm have FTM? I heard it has clutch, can it be used when autofocusing? How is the AF speed and noise compared to the 100mm, on the 180mm? It is mostly gonna be used on a crop sensored body (600D, will upgrade to 650D when it comes out soon [hopefully] with better AF).</p>

<p>I am afraid the 180mm will be too long on a crop, I am not sure about the working distance since it's very far away, which is supose to be a good thing.</p>

I think you will find they are both very good in terms of sharpness and bokeh. As noted technique is more important than

the small differences between the lenses that may exist.

I use the canon 100, 180 and Mp-e 65, they are all very good, sharpness is probably in the reverse order listed.

The main reason for selecting the 100 or the 180 is either working distance, perspective or ease of use on a tripod. If you

are working in lowish dawn light using traditional tripod methods I would go for a 180 for operational use reasons. If

handheld use a 100.

Of course there is a lot of crossover, no absolutes.

<p>Hi Tal,</p>

<p>1. For bugs you generally want as much WD between you and your subject so the Tamron is better here but when they are frozen this could be a non-issue.</p>

<p>2. I can only repeat what was said here, sharpness in macro lenses is rarely an issue as all are <strong>very</strong> sharp.I had and have macro lenses and sharpness was never an issue. For AF though I can wholeheartedly recommend each Canon lens with Ring USM and IF. I had experience with 60/2.8, 100/2.8 and 100/2.8 IS and all were superb in that regard. Nevertheless, do not expect the same AF performance you get with non-macro lenses. </p>

<p>3. My warmest advice to you is to contact Alon Kira and Erez Marom. They are probably Israel's best macro photographers.</p>

<p>All the best.</p>

<p>Happy shooting,<br>

Yakim. </p>

<p>Originally posted by Yakim Peled:<br>

....3. My warmest advice to you is to contact Alon Kira and Erez Marom. They are probably Israel's best macro photographers.<br>

__________________________________________________________________________<br>

I am actually in a class in Galitz (if you know that) which one of the shooting session is in Rishon leZion's lake at 5:50 AM with Erez Marom as the teacher. I have asked him and he sais the Tamrom. But he uses only MF for macro, I use the AF to get around the area I want to focus and then I use the FTM to override the AF. Now the question is, in the Tamron, is that possible?<br>

<br /><br>

Also, now I have to ask... Are you from Israel too? I haven't seen anyone from Israel in the time being in here :)</p>

<p>Tal</p>

<p>The Tamron, in Canon format, does not have a dedicated AF/MF button, just touching the manual focus ring over-rides the AF, so in theory, yes, the Tamron has FTM.</p>

<p>The Tamron also does not have focus limiter switches, I find them invaluable when using AF as you intend to, to get you close then fine tune with manual, all macro lenses can take a long time to acquire focus in AF if you don't use limiter switches, particularly in low light (like early mornings). The sharpness is so similar between the two that your technique will over-ride the differences, center sharpness is superb with both, edge sharpness by 5.6 is very good on both, after f8 diffraction is viewable to a degree but not destructive in any meaningful way. From an IQ point of view nobody could tell the difference in your images between both lenses.</p>

<p>I got the Canon, focus limiter switches are a must in my book for macro lenses, IS is a good benefit for handheld work even when using flash and I liked the weather sealing. At macro distances focal length does not affect depth of field so there is no disadvantage to using a 180. What the Tamron gives you is longer working distances, which you say are not important to you.</p>