Digital camera body for Leica M lenses

mark_gonzalez

<p>"Rangefinders are called "Rangefinders" because they have Rangefinders in them. If you're used to the M6, you won't be very happy with live view focusing, I'm afraid. You should be patient and try to find an M8 for $2000 or less. It has problems, of course, but it's a real rangefinder. jamie"</p>

<p>I'm glad somebody brought this up. If you are a Leica M user and appreciate the Mness of it, you will not like what these alternatives are. They are all good cameras but they don't work like a M. My observation was you become camera centric oppose to subject centric.</p>

<p>I tried using my M lenses on two of mentioned alternative cameras, I bought one and returned after 10days, and then borrowed another one. The combinations were like bad jokes as far as my photography went.</p>

<p>I suggest to borrow, rent, etc. one of the alternative bodies and see it for yourself.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If the emphasis is on using Leica optics and getting the highest quality image, as it seems Mark was referring to, as opposed to maintaining the specific Leica M rangefinder operational experience, one of the new and high MP mirrorless camera bodies may be a very good way to go, within the currently imposed limit of those devices that crop the angle of field of the Leica lenses. The M9 is gradually being equalled and surpassed in image quality and if and when the next version comes along (M10) a number of digital Leica photographers may well choose to keep their existing M8 or M9 bodies and invest in what may then be a higher MP and 1.5X or even full frame mirrorless body at less cost. </p>