Fashion / Editorial / Commercial Portfolio

<p>Hi All! </p>

<p>It's been a while since I've posted here (used to be a "regular" in these parts). </p>

<p>I'm in need of some constructive criticism on a newly-compiled fashion / editorial / commercial portfolio. I'm not going to poison the well by offering up what **I** think I need to change (though I do think I need to make some edits), but I would really appreciate your thoughts beyond what my dear and well-meaning husband said: "Looks good!" (What does he know anyway . . . LOL!) I've done high-end portrait work for 8 years and am working toward more fashion / editorial / commercial work. Got a very nice look and a potential pretty big commercial job just today. Ideally looking to pitch to Janie & Jack, Lord & Taylor-style retailers (i.e., kids catalog), various commercial entities, and lifestyle / editorial publications.<br>

Thanks in advance! - Karen<br>

<br /><a rel="nofollow nofollow" href="http://issuu.com/karenlippowiths/docs/commercial_portfolio?mode=window&printButtonEnabled=false&shareButtonEnabled=false&searchButtonEnabled=false&backgroundColor=%23FFFFFF" target="_blank">http://issuu.com/karenlippowiths/docs/commercial_portfolio?mode=window&printButtonEnabled=false&shareButtonEnabled=false&searchButtonEnabled=false&backgroundColor=%23FFFFFF</a></p>

<p>(P.S. I swear issuu.com cranks open the midtone levels and softens the images by about 10% . . . blah!)</p>

<p>Hi Karen - I'm not in your league of commercial work yet, I'm still shooting more mainstream portraiture, but I think they look great! They have that lifestyle quality of well-lit subjects, without looking overly lit...I need to work on that.<br>

The only thing I might change is, the over-use of certain models. The dark-haired man seems to be in every adult shot. It makes me think they were all shot in one day. The brunette woman is in just as many...but, for some reason, that doesn't bother me :)<br>

Also, the grey seamless studio images don't mesh as well with the location work. Maybe lighting the seamless differently would help, or using a more natural colored seamless like blue or green would blend with the outdoors shots that show a lot of grass and sky. There's not much grey in the location work.<br>

Ok, I have to go work on that lifestyle lighting now. Maybe I'll ask you for a critique.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Michael: Thank you so much for your thoughtful insights. You're spot on in your evaluation of the adult work. This is the second "adult model" shoot I've done . . . and yes, all in one day . . . I have many more scheduled but this is it up to this point. Once I can show a bit more diversity, I'll dilute down this shoot (though I AM very proud of this work and will still keep a few from that session in). I own a thriving CHILDREN'S portrait business named (appropriately) Urban Kids Photography. I'm going out as Karen Lippowiths commercially so as to welcome all ages and I'm working on that. Same goes for the gray seamless studio. I have a studio but do much more location work (and will continue along those lines). You picked up my two new growth areas. Tells me you actually looked through the work. I sincerely appreciate it. Never hesitate to throw up a link for us to check out! Best wishes :) Karen</p>

<p>Karen- A lot of nice work in there. It's obvious you have control over your imagery, and the final product looks well polished. I'm no expert, but I hope I can offer something useful.<br>

From what I understand, A/D's these days are looking for a few (15-25) strong images or layouts, along with a cohesive "look" and flow within the portfolio so as to know what to expect when going with a particular photogragher.<br>

You might consider making all of your layout spreads contain the same number of images-IE 2 small verticals and 1 large for consistency and flow.<br>

Be mindful of images that are placed such that they draw the viewer off the page, for instance the spread with the couple in the red white and blue color scheme, the large image to the right pulls the viewer off. Or the little girl in the blue and white outfit-flipping the image positions would help draw the viewer in. Another thought would be to limit paired verticals to the same subject or theme (IE prop shots with kids) and try to avoid mismatched spreads (32-33)-the girl with the umbrella is stunning as a single image but loses impact and consistency paired with the boy in the green and blue outfit. Open strong, lead the viewer through with consistency and finish with something strong that leaves an impression. <br>

Best of luck to you, this is no easy task and it is something that has to be gone over every now and then just to keep it fresh. </p>

<p>Glad I could help. I definitely looked through, I even bookmarked it.<br>

I've been guilty of too many images from one shoot myself, sometimes editing is the hardest part. I thought Randall's point about drawing the viewer off the page was spot on, the one page with grey seamless would look a lot better if they were looking inward, that probably affected my initial feeling.<br>

If you don't mind discussing lighting, what are you using? The light almost seems too soft for softbox or umbrella, are you just using a white reflector? They look great, and I can't get any hints from the catchlights.<br>

If you don't mind taking a look, here's my current site - http://www.arclightimages.com<br>

I'll post it for everyone, but I thought I'd start with this limited crowd and ease into the criticism. :)</p>

<p>PS - Your 'About' page on your Journal is a broken link and you should offer an RSS feed....I'd subscribe.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You guys totally ROCK! Thank you so much for the ***CONSTRUCTIVE*** criticism. I SO agree that I need to drop about HALF of the spreads to around 30 or so (I always instruct the photographers I teach that less is more and here I am guilty of throwing too much in), but that's what this initial "go" was all about. Figuring out what direction.<br /><br />Point well-taken about a few strong spreads that drive the eye INWARD. Thank you Randall! I've also been told by others to do a bit more "edgy" stuff, which I will begin doing (again, remember most of my bread and butter to this point has been mom & tots . . . not so much edgy). Have to run now to get the little one to pre-school and head to the studio, but I'll follow up with what I'm doing in a few hours. Also, THANK YOU, Michael for the feedback about the broken link. I updated the site about a month ago and may have forgotten to put the page to the remote server. I'll find out.<br /><br />Have a great Friday, all! </p>