Advice Appreciated

aura_jane

<p>Hi Aura. I like the website in general, and your work is lovely. The only thing I am not sure of is the red menu colours. I find red to be pretty intense. Sort of shocking. I understand that red can symbolize love, but it can also stir up feelings of hate, and anger. But that is just my opinion, and I am no professional. Good luck.</p>

<p>Aura,</p>

<p>You've probably got enough experience as a second to do just fine as a principal, so go get 'em. I have two things to address about the web site (aside from the fact that I'm using Chrome and it works fine on my end). </p>

<p>First, I agree with others here that the first image I saw -- low angle of a solo bride -- is wrong for your opener, and I'd pull it entirely (it's just not a flattering angle). You have other shots of brides later in the series that work better. This is certainly not a signature shot, and your first two or three images, at least, should be signature images that help define your brand.</p>

<p>Second, the About Me page is the hardest thing to write, but is crucial to distinguishing yourself. Take about an hour and go look at the About Me pages of thirty or so sole-proprietor/single-owner wedding photographers (just search photographers in your area and go through the first three or four pages). Copy the About Me text from each one into a one long, hilarious, cliche-ridden word document.</p>

<p>Then get a sharp pencil. For every time you see a photographer talk about any one of these things, jab yourself in the arm with the pencil:</p>

<ol>

<li>I want to be your photographer / I want to photograph your wedding</li>

<li>Photography is a way of life / philosophy</li>

<li>Passion (any use of this word)</li>

<li>Privilege of shooting your wedding / privilege of participating in your special day</li>

<li>Special day (any use of this word)</li>

<li>I tell your story </li>

</ol>

<p>If you do this, you may also want to call an ambulance before you begin, so that it arrives in time. But the exercise helps you avoid writing the things that actually make it <em>harder </em>for prospective clients to distinguish you from other photographers.</p>

<p>Then, if you're able, try to reduce the degree to which you talk about things that don't relate to your prospective clients' direct interests. It's not evident to clients how your work with animals gets them what they want. (Unless the maid of honor is a real dog, if you know what I mean!) Despite it's importance to <em>you, </em>I'd suggest killing or significantly paring that down. </p>

<p>Among the many reasons we struggle with "About Me" pages, the biggest challenge is that no one outside of friends and family <em>actually cares</em> who we are when looking for a wedding photographer. They care about whether you'll deliver what <em>they </em>want. </p>

<p>So spend most of your energy in your About Me section talking about how you'll do that.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Ian, great advice! I love the jab yourself with a pencil bit! Made my day. I have a hard time talking about myself, so I need to sit down for some time and really write a better bio, and I'll use the tips from here. Although, I may refrain from jabbing myself with the pencil ;-)</p>

I totally agree with Ian's pencil comments. Very funny! But I am not so sure on the making your all about me page really

all about them. The more recent reasoning i have heard for making your about me oage REALLY about ME is that couples are also hiring photographers for their personalities, not just the pictures and price, since the personality is something that really can differentiate us. Whether or not I believe brides are really choosing

photographers based on their web personas, I just don't know.

I still find myself struggling between making it very dale Carnegie esque, making it all about the bride and

what she wants to hear, or making it more about my personality. Many well known photographers, namely jasmine star,

Tamara lackey, David jay, and Rick sammon, all suggest making your about me page REALLY about you, including

personal stuff.

So for now I do kind of a combined version. I talk about how I would be as their photographer, what I'd do

for them, even come prepared like a boyscout with everything but the kitchen sink from bobby pins to Advil to band aids.

After I talk about that then I throw in a bit more personal stuff including this bit:

"In addition to loving my job, other things I love include: my incredible husband (more than words can say), our mutt

extraordinaire Buddy, pretty much all animals, science museums and aquariums, surrealism, my canon 5D MkII, dessert

(especially a good wedding cake), dancing, and my incredibly supportive friends and family."after I go through that, then I

give a bit of my history of my photographic training and how I got into being a wedding photographer. And get ready to

stab yourself with a pencil. I did say there that I turned my passion into my profession. WHOOPS! I may have to reword

that now upon reading Ian's post ;).