a 19inch f11 GOLD rim artar

john_golden2

<p>I suspect that when you receive the lens, you'll find that the "gold" is really brass. I had a lens once that I machined off the black finish on the end of the front cell. I don't recall why I did it, but it came out looking like this lens. </p>

<p>Charley</p>

<p>John..<br>

You have a process camera lens. The red dot Goerz lenses were considered to be the top tier of close conjugate ratio lenses. Some people say they don't handle infinity focus subject matter, they work best between 20% and 500%. Apochromats were designed to be used where the image and object planes are parallel, they have little to no distortion. Their depth of field is minimal. Generally speaking, if you encounter a lens with a maximum aperture of f11, the lens is designed for copy work. You should find a pin sticking up in a groove around the approximate middle of the barrel that can be rotated to reveal a slot to drop a filter in near the iris. By the way, I still own the same lens, without the brass band. it is deadly sharp when closed down, I think of it as a slow telephoto.<br>

Ron Taylor</p>

<p>I am not so sure that the Red Dot should be relegated to close range shots.<br>

I own a 16 1/2" in barrel, which i have not tested very well, but i know that some great photographers used them at infinity, with full satisfaction, and with astounding results.<br>

It is common knowledge (which i can't vouch for) that the Red Dot had different optimization, and not just lens coating. The old Apochromatic Artar were optimized around 1:1, while the newer models were optimized for close range, not life size, and that they were very good at infinity. Some focal lengths were made for 1:10, others were more in-between. The lenses that were originally fit in shutter were optimized a little more towards infinity, varying the glass spacing.<br>

AFAIK there were no "golden rim" Artars, while there are some fake golden Dagors around, that were built without any "gold" on them :-)<br>

cheers</p>

<p> Paolo</p>