Sigma 17-50 for Nikon D5000/D7000

sunilmendiratta

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I was checking for 2 lenses one is Sigma 17-50 2.8 and Tamaron 17-50 2.8 (Without vibration control) and i heard that tamaron is the best value for the money. I also heard that tamaron's performance in corner within 17-35 mm wide open is best. But there is only one flaw that is with AF and Darwin Wigett (on canon) shows that for AF it is not winner.<br /> http://darwinwiggett.wordpress.com/2011/05/09/sigma-17-50mm-f2-8-vs-canon-17-55mm-f2-8-and-tamron-17-50mm-f2-8/</p>

<p>Next is Sigma which is almost same but slightly soft corner but after 2 stops it is same. well my aperture range will be F8 when i want corner performance and 2.8 when i want bokeh where corner performance will not matter.<br /> Now i have few questions<br /> 1) its filter thread is 77 mm, Will cokin P(singh ray actually) GND and reverse GND series filter will cover this size without vignetting.<br /> 2) Front element does/does not rotate with AF and MF?<br /> Currently i use nikon 18-55 mm kit lens and i always use tripod and cable release for sharpness but still after magnifying at 100% i do see some softness may be due to focusing issue. But i dont see that thing with my sigma 10-20 mm lens at 100%.<br /> I want to replace 18-55 Nikon; primarily to use GND filters, distance scale so that at night i can focus at infinity (i cant do MF on 18-55 at night because sometimes i cant see in dark), 2.8 aperture at 50 mm to use on portrait(i am expecting baby this month).</p>

<p>Please correct me if my assumptions are not right or i am mistakenly assuming.Somebody who used sigma 17-50 2.8 share their experience. The only reason over Tamaron is AF and VR.</p>

<p>Regards,<br>

Sunil</p>

<p>About the review by D. Wigett... that is one guy with one copy of the lens. My experience (also a Canon shooter) does not match his at all. My Tamron focuses quickly and accurately, so given the two of us, it looks like a push. Then if we throw in the general consensus from the interwebs, it seems that Mr. Wigett got a bum copy as I have heard very few complaints about AF accuracy/speed and Tamron has sold a ton of copies of the 17-50. As it has been around for a while at this point, if there were any consistent AF horror stories, I am sure that we would have noticed by now.</p>

<p>As for your questions:<br>

1. Very, very mild vignetting at the wide end. Probably won't be noticed in practice. Tamron is a bit better, but this will not be a problem with either lens<br>

2. Front element does not rotate (same is true for the Tamron)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>sunil, i had the tamron non-VC and now have the sigma 17-50/2.8 OS. the non-VC tamron was just a little bit better optically for my tastes--hard to say why. color rendition, maybe?-- and i didnt have the same kind of AF problems the blogger noticed (used on a D300--a d5000 will be worse). the sigma is really good stopped down but not quite as sharp IMO at 2.8, where the tamron excelled, although i have gotten sharp pictures out of it at that aperture. if you're using a d5000, however, the non-VC tamron will be MF only so you might as well go for the sigma. also the stabilization is a good feature to have. the corners on the sigma arent great at 2.8 but who shoots wide open to have good corners? it sharpens up a lot at f/4 and at f/8-11, looks pretty good to me.</p><div>00Zg5l-420583584.jpg.9eeb93d5fbafe207359703619df2e954.jpg</div>

<p>I have a Sigma but the non OS version. It's on a D2x and focus is like lightening and quality is far better than my old eyes can appreciate. It just stays on that body, don't know what I would replace it with as a general purpose lense.</p>