10 day roadtrip in Argentina

rsabina

I will be going to Argentina in late May of 2012, and would like to take a roadtrip with photography in mind . I am looking for suggestions

on where to go and if there are any particular place of interest I should see . I would leve from Buenos Aires where I have already visited ,

so my main idea is to take the car and go considering I only have 10 days ..thanks

<p>I've driven or taken buses through much of Argentina, and, aside from Buenos Aires itself, the nearest areas to that great city are the least photogenic. If you are renting a car, you would do better by first flying to Bariloche and driving from there. Make the car reservations in advance. Even if you must start from Buenos Aires, it might be worth driving to Bariloche as a two-day, grind out the kilometers ordeal to Bariloche, continuing to the Siete Lagos area and El Bolson. Somewhere you might want to cross over to Chile. You'd have to leave a couple of days for the mad drive back to Buenos Aires. Hopefully, the Puyehue volcano in Chile that erupted in Chile and spewed most of its ash into Argentina will not have another go at it. This August we flew to Neuquen and drove to San Martin de Los Andes. Driving back to Neuquen, we learned that our flight back to Bs Aires was cancelled, because winds stirred up some of the existing ash. The ash problem has been diminishing, so that May of next year should be fine. BTW, San Martin de Los Andes is pretty, but not out of this world spectacular like Bariloche and places south. Also, in August, there was a little ice on the roads, not bad. Should not have any ice on the roads in May on the drive I'm suggesting unless possibly if you cross into Chile. (Not for you, but for others reading this, you know that May is in the Fall and August is winter, right?)</p>

<p>Have a wonderful trip. I like your photographs very much.</p>

<p>I almost forgot. Do you know how buses and large trucks use turn signals on rural two lane roads there? If you are behind a large vehicle and there is no intersection coming up, they will signal left if it is safe for you to pass. If they don't signal, be very sure you can see enough of the road before you pass. If they signal right, do not pass them, it isn't safe.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>If you like deserts and mediterranean clmates then check out this <a href="http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/travel-guide-argentina_topic71489.html">short write-up</a> I posted a while back in dyxum.com about an itinerary through the cities of Mendoza, San Juan and Córdoba that can include national monuments such as Ischigualasto and Talampaya (the Argentinian counterparts of Death Valley and Zion in the US)</p>