FD lenses on a Samsung NX100

Lou_Meluso

<p>I agree, Doug, the FD 24mm f/2 would be a nice lens to try with this. I have the f/2.8 version and I'm sure it will end up getting screwed on to this camera at some point. Samsung also offers a very nice, extremely small AF 20mm f/2.8 pancake prime that looks interesting.</p>

<p>Yes, the NX-10 and NX11 both offer integral EVF's in a camera with a larger form factor. The recently announced NX200 follows in the more compact path of the NX100 but, according to reports, is better handling. Yet it, strangely, doesn't offer any type of add-on EVF.</p>

<p>SInce the NX100's shoe seems centered on the lens axis, an old rangefinder viewer could go in the shoe. For the FD 35, use a viewer for the 50, for the 24, use a viewer for the 35. At places like Cameraquest, these viewer aren't cheap, but old Soviet era ones exist on auctions for a lot less money. I don't like composing through a screen. I agree with the wag elsewhere who compared it to holding a baby with a dirty diaper. I want to hold the camera to my eye. </p>

<p>Doug- Yes, I have heard of folks using their old rangefinder optical finders with these types cameras. I have a number of them myself. The only problem is, while they are great for framing, they don't help with focusing FD or other manual focus lenses. That is where the Samsung add-on EVF would really be useful, especially in bright conditions. I suppose one could just scale focus the thing but that is not my cup of tea. Since the new NX200 doesn't use the same add-on EVF as the NX100, I suspect those will come down in price in soon enough. That will provide framing, focusing and eyepiece diopter correction in one unit, plus be removable for times when you want a more compact carry.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Beautiful shots as usual, Louis, providing further proof that it's the photographer and not his gear that matters.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yup. </p>

<p>Sadly looks like we'll have to wait awhile for the Nex 7, due to the terrible floods in Thailand. I, too, have been using some of my FD lenses on a Nex 5, and - with the notable exception of the 24 f1.4L - have been very impressed with the results (in technical terms at least). The trouble is focussing on any moving subject. You can kludge a viewfinder with a Hoodman Loupe or similar, but it ain't ideal.</p>

<p>I too use a Nex with my FD lenses, and since focus peaking has been made available, manual focussing has been a treat. I can even get some sharp pictures of my small children, which says a lot about the technique!<br>

I was pretty glad to see how good most lenses performed, especially the 2/24, the 1.2/55 Asph and the 1.2/85L. Big disappointment with the 1.4/24L however! The 2.8/200IF is under par also, the non-IF version seems better, but the 80-200L is so much better that I don't bother with the former... gets big and quite awkward to handle, though. Would be interesting to test the 20-35L, as it would be a perfect walkaround lens, but I never got my hands on one at a reasonable price, and now that prices have gone up again...<br>

Hope to be able to upgrade to a Nex7 in the future, a viewfinder is much more to my liking than the rear screen.</p>