Office Christmas party photos

michael_barnes1

I have read through a lot of the posts about using an 80A filter for

indoor shots with daylight film but I still have a question...

I will be taking the obligatory "couple at the Christmas tree" (as

well as the random roam around the room shots) pictures at my company

Christmas party and wanted to ask for some tips. The party is at a

hotel banquet room - high ceilings, low lighting, etc. Christmas tree

w/lights and varied couples coming and going. Different skin tones

and different clothing of course. I will be using Fuji 400 film for

the speed, camera mounted on a tripod, slow shutter speed and either

the on camera fill flash (slow synch shutter) or an external flash on

a bracket.

My question is, should I go with the 80A filter and flash or no

filter and not worry about the ambient light?

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thank you.

Don't use the 80A with a flash, or the area illuminated by the flash will be 'blue' (the color of the 80A).

My advice, no filters, ignore the 'color' of the ambient light. If you can match flash exposure to ambient (or let the ambient be a stop darker) the color of it won't matter much. This assumes that your flash-lit subject is dominant in the scene (not going for the 'whole ballroom' shot).

To *really* match color for flash and ambient, you have to filter the lens one way (blue) and the flash the other way (amber), a PIA (assumes tungsten lighting, different filters for fluorescent)

One more thing as I re-read your post: I wouldn't overdo the slow sync. Probably 1/30th is the slowest I'd go for your 'roam' shots (assuming a focal length of 35-70mm), maybe 1/15th for your posed shots. It's tempting to go for matching ambient exposure at all costs, but if your results are blurred due to your subject moving, it ain't worth it.

As long as I'm blathering on, watch out for reflective surfaces (mirrors, large windows). One of my more unpleasant surprises on a similar shoot was failing to notice that the hotel had used a 14-inch mirror square as a 'trivet' for the centerpiece at each table; wierd highlights reflected up onto the subjects on the far side of the table.

Also be sure to have some very high speed film so that you can do some available light images. It's my experience that available light candids at the office Christmas party can often be sold to the folks who's images you shot at VERY High prices. Especially when the subject knows that you might offer the same photos to their spouse for free.

I do these all the time using my Nikon N70, SB28 on a stroboframe Press-T via a SC17, using Portra 800 or the Fuji Equivelent. Set the camera on Aperture Priority at F8 or so and let the camera / Flash to the rest of the work for you. KISS... No filters, No slow sync, etc. The 800 Sp film will open up the back of the room a bit, the SB28 lights up the faces nicely. Also, choice of lab will matter a ton. Go with a good trusted pro lab. You can email me off list if you would like to chat about this further.

Brian - Bmacphoto.com

If you are using color negative film, then you can simply put a filter on your flash to match the lighting in the room. If the lighting is tungsten, then put an 85B filter on the flash. If it is flourscent, then use a CC50G (green) filter on the flash.

When you do this, you are making sure that all of the light sources sort of match. When the color negative film is printed, the machine will adjust the colors so that they look right.

If the people you are photographing aren't moving very fast, you can set the shutter speed down to something like 1/15 of a second to let more ambient light reach the film. Then the backgrounds wouldn't be so dark. You'll need to set your camera for second curtain sync.

I just shot a bunch of photos in a similiar situation with the new Fuji NPH film at ISO 320. The results were outstanding.

• 2 weeks later...

I have shot many of these. You will probably want to use the flash as the main light source. Put an 81-A filter on for that slight tan-healthy skin look, and the ladies will love the photos if you diffuse them just a little bit. They will want enlargements. Leave the lens open a bit longer than your highest flash sync speed. Usually around 1/60 sec shutter speed, depending on the ambient light.

Q.L.P.