Colorado-fall foliage routes

david_henderson

I spent some time this fall in Colorado shooting the fall foliage. ON September 28th and 29th I was near Aspen at the Maroon Bells/Snowmass Wilderness Area. With minimal hiking you can get some decent scenes. This is a morning shot, but Maroon Bells reflecting in Maroon Lake, the classic shot, is more a late morning shot because of shadows cast by mountains to the left.

From Sept. 30th until October 3rd, I was shooting in the Ourway and Telluride area. Some of the roads I traveled were East Dallas Rd. and Last Dollar Rd off Rt 62 southwest of Ridgway. Owl Creek Rd. is an improved dirt road off Rt 550 north of Ridgway. The Dallas Divide is right off Rt. 62. We were with a photo tour so we had a hard time finding parking for 7 or 8 vehicles.

I suggest driving any back roads in these areas. You need high clearance more than 4-wheel drive.

I make my living photographing mostly in Colorado, so here's some trip suggestions:

North -- Rocky Mtn Natl Park (Bear Lk Rd, Trail Ridge Rd); Ripple Creek Pass, Flat Tops area; Buffalo Pass (near Steamboat Spgs)

Central -- Cottonwood Pass Rd (W of Buena Vista), St. Elmo to Hancock(SW of BV); Marshall Pass Rd (SW of Salida); Kebler Pass Rd (Crested Butte area); Independence Pass (E of Aspen); Castle Cr Rd (near the Maroon Lk Rd, but without the huge crowds and shuttle bus requirement); McClure Pass (W of Glenwood Spgs)

South -- Cucharas Pass (S of La Veta); La Veta Pass (W of Walsenburg); Dallas Divide, Dallas Cr Rd, Last Dollar Rd (all between Ridgway & Telluride); Miller Mesa &/or Lizard Head Pass (S of Telluride); La Plata Canyon (W of Durango); Hermosa Cliffs (N of Durango)

These are all places where you could shoot lots of shots without having to hoof it a long way. Let me know if there's more info you need.

Todd Caudle (tcphoto@rmi.net)