Nikon D100- pin up girl/nude photo help

eddie_gallegos

<p>Hello, im new to these forums and im fairly new to photography......I have a nikon D100 with a 18-55mm lens (assuming its the stock lens) anyways i was requested to do a pin up/nude photoshoot, similar to a suicide girl look, indoors in an ENTIRELY white bedroom. i want good quality pictures in the end, like professional ones, am i using the right lens? or if anyone has past experience doing these, what settings on my camera would be ideal? <br /> Any help is appreciated, ,...thanks again</p>

<p>Hi Eddie, welcome to Photo.net.</p>

<p>However, I have removed your example image. Please only upload images to photo.net that you yourself have created. In a situation like this, a link to the image in question will illustrate your post just fine.</p>

<p>Thank you.</p>

<p>oh okay sorry, thanks for the heads up, and thanks for the responses. I am going to for sure in the future purchase umbrellas and flashes etc.....but that is my main question for you guys, what lighting equipment would be best for this shoot? <br>

the room is also plain white, white walls, white ceiling....would this make a difference? or would i need to buy some backdrops, black sheets etc....thanks again, i really appreciate the help!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>i want good quality pictures in the end, like professional ones</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Then you need an education. If you bought a bunch of tools at Sears, would you be a mechanic? Why not? It isn't the tools, it's the knowledge. There isn't any "best lighting equipment" for any particualr shoot anymore than a screwdriver is a better tool than a hammer. The tools (lights/camera/lens) depend on the look you are trying to achieve.</p>

<p>To be honest, the first thing you need is some quick and dirty lighting know how... Try "Hot shoe diaries" by Joe McNally. You can get a lot done without going big time on lighting, if you know what you're doing...</p>

<p>I don't know what a "suicide girl look" is and that style MAY take some bigger lighting. However, the theory and ideas in the Hot Shoe book are still going to be very helpful.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I much prefer the look they were born with, then. It's like bolting on cheap auto parts store chrome bits on a classic Ferrari.</p>

<p>But, even if they DO have "tats" and " piercing" , why "Suicide Girl " ? Do they take their own lives after that ? I just don't get pop culture.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Here is the place to go for information about Suicide Girls: http://suicidegirls.com/about/</p>

<p>It's just a name, apparently some people can't deal with that. </p>

<p>In the past, they had a very flat "glamour" look that has been popular in the pin-up community for the last ten years, fortunately, they seem to have opened up a bit more. There are some reports that they (the organization) have not treated photos well. I've photographed some Suicide Girls, but outside the context of the organization.</p>

<p>Jeff,</p>

<p>After reading the page, I can understand, "Social Suicide" meaning to not conform to general norms, but like most current, young ,social sectors, using the word to SHOCK people, rather than using a proper one is part of their overly dramatic sense of what they want to be. It's like cussing a LOT to act like your worldly. " There just words, dude. Don't get hung up about it. "</p>

<p>I do wonder if the original idea may have been Social Suicide Girls, but they didn't want the SS Girls moniker. Which would be funny, because that would be as anti establishment as they could get !</p>

<p>Looking at the pictures on the web site, I didn't see a specific "look". Just traditional glamor shots of girls with tattoos. Some took pains to look a bit angry, I guess.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>suicide girls was a rather early internet phenomenom, a site with a strange amalgam of seeming near-prostitution with other ladies just venturing into a lifestyle; sex with a goth/metal head/dyed mohawk look, tattoos and piercings definitely but also an overwrought hipster whip-me-or-I'll-kill-you attitude. or so says I.</p>

<p>There is nothing like a simple technical question to elicit a ton of responses WAY off Topic. Welcome to Photo.net....<br>

Your D100 and 55-70 lens should be fine. Be sure to do a Custom White Balance on set. In addition, I'd set the exposure compensation to +.3 and even shoot some at +.7. GO to a local hardware store and get some Halogen Shop lights with stands. You need at least 2. If you vary the wattages, say get a 100 watt and a 250 watt, you can play around with shadows. Hot lights will also keep your nude model warm during a photo shoot. It's not a bad idea to have one of her girlfriends present or a female friend of yours on the shoot to adjust the model's hair, wardrobe etc. You want to stand back and be professional. Don't be afraid to tell her exactly how to pose though! Inexperienced models need directions. Keep it light and fun though. If you do a good job you'll be surprised at how many models beat a path to your door.</p>