Two lenses, same focal length?

hyatt_lee

I also do street photography and I find myself using my 35mm pre-asph 'lux often because of greater depth of field for zone focusing and a 90mm elmarit 2.8 for when I don't want to get too close. I find it difficult to use the 50mm 'cron for shots cause I am not used to its depth of field yet (well except for portraits of friends and street demonstrations). Anyhow, I thought about nabbing a used 35 asph summicron if I can find one. Does anyone here use two lenses of the same focal length? If so, why? (I don't count the E3 cause I don't want one.)

Thanks in advance for answers

Well Hyatt, zone-focusing is the "work of the devil" something that I never do. Having said that on rare occasion I will carry four bodies with 50/2.0, 50/1.4, 28/2.9 and 35/1.4 pre-asph. Normally for my street photography (www.streetphoto.net) I use two bodies an M3 with a 50mm and M2 with 35mm or 28mm.

The pre-ASPH 35mm Summilux is virtually as good as the Summicron at comparable stops, and you always have the f:1.4 if you need it. Ergonomically, it is better than most of the different configulations of Summicron. Don't even think about trading it.

At the moment I have both the Leica 24 and the V'lander 25 (essentially the same focal length). The 25 is super compact, takes 39mm filters like my 35/90/135, and doesn't block the .58 viewfinder. The 24 is faster, and actually FOCUSES. I use whichever makes the most sense under the circumstances.

I am definitely considering adding a 90 f/2 APO to my 90TE to cover the same bases - size vs. speed depending on the situation.

Regarding your case - I might also vote for swapping for the 35 f/1.4 ASPH - it's actually 5 grams LIGHTER than the f/2 ASPH and a tiny bit sharper at f/2. Not as compact as your pre-Lux, though.

Hyatt:

I have two of several focal lengths for different purposes. 50 DR and 50 Tabbed. Weight and focus distance are the weighing factors on these. 90 Elmar and 90 Summicron, again with weight and speed being the concerns here. It is up to you about justifing it, we can only give you our opinions for our situations. How critical are you about your pictures and would you notice the difference? Is it worth the funds?

Enjoy your equipment and shoot some more. :)

Hyatt,

Like Mark above I've got the 50 DR and the last tabbed 50, and also a first version Noctilux.

Which to use is almost always a function of film used. Chrome for the DR, color negative for the tabbed Summicron, and B&W for the Noctilux.

Just think the different emulsions respond best to each of those lenses.

Best,

Jerry

Why not have a few of the same focal length? I enjoy the different looks of

lenses � image, handling, built quality, as �collectors� and �users� - and have

them for those reasons. As has been said and I�ve found, as long as you get a

fairly good deal, its hard to loose money on a Leitz/Leica lens. Even if you did

sell after using it awhile, and lost a little on the deal, you can think of it as a

�rental� fee. So let your curiosity take hold and enjoy the experience. Compare

the lenses and others of the same focal length and take one out at a time for

different reasons, or a couple at a time.

Today I�m going out for fun with my Leicaflex SL and its 50mm Summicron

and an ALPA 9d with its 50mm Kern-Marco-Switar. In fact I just counted up my

50mm lenses, and some may think this a bit extreme, there are 10 of them.

And I have 4 35mm lenses. I can justify it by thinking them as a �bank

account�.

My advice is not sell the Summilux. I had one and sold it for the �better image�

of the ASPH Summilux. Mistake. I still think of beautiful image that pre-ASPH

gave wide open, and its compact size. Its different than the newer ASPH

lenses although still a 35mm lens.