Any idea when the D400 might come out?

wade_thompson

<p>2nd the suggestion to buy a D7000 while you can still get it 1) it is a great camera and 2) who knows when the stocks will be depleted. As mentioned above, this was probably a devastaing blow for Nikon.</p>

<p>Just had sold my D700 when all of this transiried..... I guess I'll be in for a long wait.....</p>

<p>Assuming that this "D400" is a DX-format DSLR, the successor to the D300S, I am not sure that even Nikon's CEO can give you an accurate answer at this point.</p>

<p>Given the terrible news from Thailand, I would assume the worst-case scenario for Nikon's factory there; i.e. the bottom floor and its content is completely damaged. Most likely Nikon will have to move DX DSLR production elsewhere, maybe China, at least for the time being. Models that are close to the end of cycle such as the D300S will probably never be produced again in favor of newer models.</p>

<p>The design for the successor to the D300S should have been completed already. The main issues are to find the factory capacity, prepare the new machinary, and train people to manufacture them. But Nikon also has to do the same for other existing and hot-selling models such as the D5100 and D7000.</p>

<p>If for whatever reason you still want a new D300S, I would get one soon. Otherwise the D7000 is an improvement from the D300S in many areas but not as good in some other areas. If you can wait, it'll likely be months before we see the successor to the D300S.</p>

I heard that new cameras were coming out in February. Then it was March. Then it was supposed to be June. Then

with absolute certainty it was going to be the third week of August. Then it was October 26th (tomorrow).

I also heard that the world was supposed to end.

Photo in the OP - the WB looks every so slightly blueish. Maybe warm it up a notch. :-)

<p>Quick question in this discussion: If I were to forget about the "D400" for all the reasons of delay and doubt above, would I be so much disappointed if I just replace my D200 with a D7000 and be done with it? I don't do sports or action much. I think other than the auto focus, all I'd have to contend with is the difference in size/handling. From everything I hear about the D7000, it would actually be an admirable step up from my D200.</p>

<p>I find it amazing that Nikon is more capable of keeping the lid on their secrets than the government. I mean wouldn't you think that some Nikon employee somewhere would get stewed one night, and spill the beans. Maybe be on their deathbed somewhere, and figure "What the Hell, I'm telling the world about the release date, and features of the new D400. What are they going to do fire me?"</p>

<p>Bruce, it has been discussed here many times that no company is going to leak product information way in advance becaue that will kill current sales. The dimise of the Osborne Computer is the classic case they study in business schools: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect</a><br>

Any compony that does not understand such basics will not be around for long.</p>

<p>Additionally, you are merely tipping off your competition to give them time to plan against you. Unexpected events happen as we witness twice with Nikon this year: first the March 17 Japan earthquake and the subsequent tsumni and neuclear power plant malfunction completely disrupted production in their Sandai plant; now the Thailand flood is shutting down their production of all DX DSLRs and many lenses. If Nikon had any advanced announcement or leak but cannot fulfill the production themselve, it would merely give Canon, Sony, etc. a huge advantage.</p>

<p>That was why Apple fired the guy who unintentionally left an iPhone 4 prototype at a bar last year. He was kind of quietly let go about a week later; I found out because some people I know tried to hire him (because he did that unintentionally). If you leak information intentionally, Nikon will immediately fire you and you have ruined your chances with other companies in the industry. Occasionlly I am under non-disclosure agreement with Nikon USA. They treat it very seriously such that Josh Root and I have to sign separate, individual agreements, and for each product announcement we have to sign a new NDA. They know we are professionals and that is why they continue to feed us useful information and let us test their new products.</p>

<p>People have asked about future products for years on this forum. I have yet to see even one post with real information unless Nikon occasionally leaks it themselves. That is why I discourage those rumors on this forum; in most caess you are merely building up false anticipations that lead to major disappointments.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Bruce: Actually some things do get leaked ... and sometimes the 'beans do get spilled' ... Whatever problems Nikon has right now, they could be worse ... look into what has been going on at Olympus in the last thirty days ... can't get the links as I am in transit, but basically they are minus a 'bean spilling' CEO and about 670 milllion that the Board has let 'disappear'.</p>