Same problem on D200 and D40X... or any Body?

daniel_horande

<p>Hi guys,<br>

My First camera was a D40X, then i bought a D200 and i have a D7000 actually.<br /><br />Im going to sell the first 2 bodies, and I was checking every single option to make sure everything is fine and dont sell something that might not be working properly.</p>

<p>With both bodies ( D40X and D200) there are some certain moments that I try to take a picture and they just don take it. What exactly happens is this:<br /><br />I focus a random area, press the shutter half way, the cameras focus and make the typical sound that let you know that it focused and if you want to shoot just press all the way the shutter. Well, after that i continue pressing the button all the way and the cameras just dont take the picture. This is happening Randomly, sometimes i take 50 frames without any problem, but when I find one subject that the cameras fail, they will always fail pointing at the same spot both cameras. It is like... this Spot, subject would has some special characteristics that the cameras fail!<br>

I though it could be the lens, the body, etc, so i I tried this with the 18-55 lens, one 18-70 lens and it kept happening the same thing. <br /><br />After 1 hour testing, I realized that if I do the same thing, but WITHOUT the built in Flash, it just work perfectly fine, never failed any the of the cameras with any of the lenses. AND i tried same thing but with a SB600 mounted, and NEVER had any issues with the cameras... ( BTW, i aimed exactly the same spot where the cameras were having issues with thew built in flash)</p>

<p>SO.... Here is the question... Is this normal? Does this happen with any camera with the built in flash? ( I rarely use thebuilt in flash, I always have a tripod, fast lenses or a Flash unit)</p>

<p>BTW, the cameras are not heavily used, they must be around 13k Shutter actions each or less.</p>

<p>Thanks For your help guys!!!<br>

<br />Daniel</p>

<p>Interesting. I've had the same problem with a Canon S1 IS and a Canon S3 IS.<br /> Sometimes fail to fire when flash is raised for fill, without the 'raise flash' message<br /> in the viewfinder. Perhaps the manuals will say something about having to hit the<br>

'ready flash' button if the camera does not ask for it.<br>

<br /> Best regards,<br /> /Clay</p>

<p>I imagine you're just picking a spot with low enough contrast that the AF systems on those older cameras can't quite settle down. But when you use the shoe-mounted SB600, that speedlight's autofocus assist feature is helping out - something Nikon's speedlights do very well. </p>

<p>Also consider that the flash needs some time to recycle. When the build-in flash blasts a full pop it might need several seconds until you can take a picture again. Your SB-600 might only need a fraction of its power to make the same picture. </p>

<p>Then, if your focus setting is on AF-C, your camera might try to refocus and have difficulties in low light. Try the AF-S setting, once the focus is locked and the flash is recycled (watch the flash symbol in the viewfinder) it should fire anytime.</p>

Which of the focusing sensors are at work here? Did you select the option in which you choose to

activate one of them? Did you choose the one to activate them all and pick a point? All AF cameras will

hesitate when pointed at a surface that offers nothing to "grab" for the AF. A wall, however textured

(unless it's bricks) does not offer anything to anchor the sensor's attention.

A similar thing has happened to me with my AF bodies (film and digital), so I learned to aim the active

sensor to a line or shape that offers enough contrast to the AF to latch on. You can recompose once you

have locked focus on (as long as you don't move away or towards the subject). In any event, can you

describe what is it you try to photograph when the cameras just fail? With the information you provided

it's difficult and all we can do is guess.

<p>Hi guys, Thanks for the comments.</p>

<p>The problem comes after the cameras focus. This means, that the Cameras are able to focus, and there are enough contrast on the image, thats why they focus. <br /><br />Regularly, goes this way:<br /><br />1- Compose<br />2- Press half way shutter ( camera focus and then lock)<br>

3- Continue pressing shutter to take picture<br>

4- Release Shutter</p>

<p>Where the cameras fail is on the Step 3, I press as hard as I can the shutter but nothing (WITH the built in Flash).</p>

<p>The Autofocus Assist light has nothing to do on this case, cause the camera works 100 % perfect with Built in flash closed.</p>

<p>That sounds like a flash recycling problem. Especially since it goes away when you turn off the internal flash or use an external flash. Does it happen on the first shot of a sequence (I'm guessing not)? or when trying to shoot multiple shots fairly quickly, within a few seconds?</p>

<p>If the problem is flash recycling, you can reduce the problem by turning down the flash power. If the flash is on auto, then turning up the ISO is probably the easiest way to effectively turn down the flash power.</p>