Cheap used fast AF prime lens for D80

laurence_rochfort

<p>Hi all,<br /> <br /> I'm considering replacing my D80 with a pro-compact because it's too bulky with the 18-135 now my son is 20 odd months old. My main camera is Hasselblad 500cm you see.<br /> <br /> However, I was wondering if you could recommend a used fast compact AF prime lens for less than £80 that might give the D80 a new lease of life. I have the 50mm, but want something more "interesting".<br /> <br /> As an alternative, can anybody make an educated guess what the 18-135 would sell for and recommend a prime lens using those funds?<br /> <br /> I will mainly be taking pictures of my wife and son, quite probably handheld inside now it's winter in the UK.<br /> <br /> Many thanks,<br /> Laurence.</p>

<p>Hi Laurence,<br>

maybe you can find something like a first generation Sigma AF aspherical 1.8/28mm for £80.<br>

But I'm afraid most suitable lenses (the AF-Nikkor 35mm/2.0 for instance) sell for more than £80. <br>

The AF-S 35/1.8G is a neat little lens I like a lot - great for indoor-candids and stuff like this.<br>

georg</p>

<p>Speed-of-focus = something of contrast for the camera to work with....</p>

<p>Nikon has a number of interesting lenses that will work on your Nikon D80 body:</p>

<p>AF 85mm f1.8D Nikkor</p>

<p>AF 60mm f2.8D Micro-Nikkor</p>

<p>(older model) AF 105mm f2.8D Micro-Nikkor</p>

<p>But the prices you may find are the real question mark to your post ....?</p>

<p>Wait a minute.</p>

<p>I'm still wrapping my mind around the concept that a D80 is too bulky for a person whose main camera is a Hasselblad?</p>

<p>I suggest, instead of using either camera and lenses for photography of your growing child, you simply do what at least a couple of generations of parents have done.</p>

<p>Get a decent quality P&S camera that will go in your pocket or in the diaper bag. You need to be able to grab shots in situations where a larger and more complex camera is not all that helpful.</p>

<p>It's another of those things like getting a van.....</p>

<p>Oh, I think you'll regret it if you actually get rid of your D80, and replacing it in the future does not get easier (my daughter, for example, is still in college on my dime).</p>

<p>I was addressing the question of "upgrading" the D80 for kid use. (Although one way to go there is to just get a nice 50mm prime lens that will make the package small [but no zoom and still not so convenient]).</p>

<p>The P&S does not need to be elaborate or expensive, and decent quality ones are not that costly anyhow. Waterproof is nice if it fits in your budget. ;)</p>

<p>If you want smaller, you may want to consider something like the Sony NEX or the Panasonic/Olympus micro 4/3 cameras. They aren't pocketable, but they are much smaller than a D80, so they take up less weight and space in a bag. Unfortunately, they aren't cheap; you will get more image quality for your money with a Nikon DSLR than with one of those. If you want to stick with your D80, the 50mm that you probably have, the f/1.8, is already more than your budget, and it's the cheapest lens that Nikon makes. The next best lens that I would recommend, as a more wide-angle, is the 35mm f/1.8G, for about £150 new. I think that deserves at least a try for every DX photographer, as many will find it will earn a permanent place in your permanent kit. If none of those ideas work for you, maybe just consider trading your D80 in for a D3100? It's a great camera, and that is what a good friend of mine did. He had his Linhofs for medium and large format, so he decided that for his DSLR, he didn't need his D70. He traded it in for a D3100 and couldn't be happier.</p>

<p>i personally didnt find the d80 bulky, but then i got that with the 18-70. so what you're talking about is a less-bulky lens. however, your budget pretty much precludes any of the real contenders, like 35/1.8. it's also not enough for a high-end compact. i would just use the d80/50mm combo until you can afford to upgrade.</p>

<p>Laurence, I think that 80 quid isn't a very realistic budget for even a used AF prime since you already have a 50mm f/1.8.<br>

I'd steer all the money towards a nice compact like a Canon G10 or something similar.</p>

<p>I recently bought a used Kodak easyshare with a Schneider 12 x zoom lens for only £20. It seemed like a real bargain for a little carry anywhere snapper - until I realised it needed a new Lithium battery, and an SD card, and a little case. It all added up and quickly doubled the price of my "bargain". </p>

<p>I think a m4/3 GFx or PENx plus the 14/2.5 or 20/1.7 lens will be a lovely alternative to a pro-compact, if you can live with a single prime. They are being heavily discounted in many places so it is a good time to buy. Also quite interesting is the Nikon 1 system, although they are a bit pricy at the moment and lens selection is still limited. None of these will be pocketable, however, so I also use a S95, a lovely camera, but indoor out-of-camera shots are not as good as those from the m4/3. The overall IQ from a m4/3 camera (ISO, DR, etc) will be comparable to the D80.</p>