Having 4 photos in a forum post

demianov

<p>I hope this is the right forum to ask this... Hello. I want to ask a very technical question in the 'Digital Darkroom' forum. I would need to attach 4 files. Each being a 16-bit TIFF file. The size of each file would be around 7 megabytes. Can it even be done? I'm pretty sure the system won't be able to display them, but that's not important, as long as the participants can easily access and download them to their computer. I've never posted more than one JPEG file, so I'm not sure if I can include 4 files in one post. Maybe I could put them all in a ZIP file? Is there an upload limit? At 7 megabytes per file they're already compressed (zip compression) and scaled down in the resolution. I can't have them shrunk any more than that.<br>

Thank you.</p>

<p>I'm not sure if that will work. You can upload TIFFs, I just don't remember what our MB limit is. Try attaching one of the files and see if it works. If it does, then make a reply to your thread and attach another. They may be over the size limit though. If so, I would suggest that you zip them and then find somewhere external to host them.</p>

<p>Yeah...well, directing people to an unknown location often scares them off. Red flags start popping up like crazy and that kind of defeats the purpose of my post.<br>

Replying to my own thread 3 times just for the sole purpose of having all of the files up would look really lame. The moderators would get suspicious, no doubt. It would appear as a dirty trick to fool the people into believing that there are already plenty of responses. I don't want to get anyone mad. That's why I have to do this right.<br>

The issue I need help with is very very complex. I'm not even sure if any of the veterans can help. That's why I can't just paint castles in the sky. I need to supply the real deal. It would take me at least 3 hours to compose my post so, obviously, I need to be sure that I can attach the files.<br>

Forget the size limit, can someone tell me whether I can attach 4 files to a single post? (with no external hosting). Can I attach a singe ZIP files of about 22MB in size?<br>

Thanks.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Forget the size limit, can someone tell me whether I can attach 4 files to a single post? (with no external hosting). Can I attach a singe ZIP files of about 22MB in size?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No, you can't attach multiple files or attach zip files. I would have said something in my first reply if you could. As for the file size limit, Jin is looking into it to double check for me. But as it's Sunday, I'm not expecting him to jump just because I asked for something. As I said, you can just try attaching the file and see what happens. The worst that can occur is that the system will return an error of some sort. It won't mess anything up or lock your account or anything. Just make a test post in this forum if you want. I'll see it and delete it after you have done so.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Replying to my own thread 3 times just for the sole purpose of having all of the files up would look really lame. The moderators would get suspicious, no doubt. It would appear as a dirty trick to fool the people into believing that there are already plenty of responses.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No, they won't. The moderators all know how the file system works. If you explain the issue in your post, nobody will think it is weird if you make multiple replies to your post in order to attach the files.</p>

<p>In Classic Manual Cameras forum and elsewhere, the moderators know that a report on a camera with pictures, for example, will involve multiple postings - they are very understanding if you don't yank their chains by some obnoxious behavior. Try posting 4 times in a No Words thread, and your experience will likely be other. ;)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>directing people to an unknown location often scares them off</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br />So does a zip file. Since photo.net isn't scanning zip files for viruses, I wouldn't even think about downloading it, and I'm on a Mac. I would be even more unlikely if I was using a Windows machine. The last thing I want is a zip file from a random person on a forum.</p>

<p>The suspicion of a zip file is probably a good point, so I'm not sure why I suggested it in my post. After all, the reason we do not allow zip files to be attached to forum posts is because it's a security risk. So I'm not sure why I would suggest that someone host a zip file elsewhere.</p>

<p>Unless something has changed since 2010, it's possible to upload a raw file directly to forums as an attachment. <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00W60c">I tried that as an experiment</a> in 2010 and the 4.3 MB Nikon raw (NEF) file was accepted as an attachment for download. I'm not sure whether it can be previewed in a browser.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Unless something has changed since 2010, it's possible to upload a raw file directly to forums as an attachment. <a rel="nofollow" href="../nikon-camera-forum/00W60c">I tried that as an experiment</a> in 2010 and the 4.3 MB Nikon raw (NEF) file was accepted as an attachment for download. I'm not sure whether it can be previewed in a browser.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Jin and I closed down a lot of file formats a month or so ago due to some spammer weirdness that we were seeing. I can't remember if I had him leave all the raw formats open or not. I think I did, but I will check.</p>

<p>I think it was me and not the system that messed up with the last file. Anyway, it looks like it works this way! I just downloaded one of the pics no problem. You can delete those now. Thanks to all! I'm still working on this really hard and hopefully I'll be able to figure it out on my own. If not, I promise you - there is going to be one heated debate in the 'Digital Darkroom' forum, but hopefully, people will benefit from it.<br /> Thank you again.</p>