I know this has been overdone, but hear me out.

peter_sanders2

<p>Let me post a quote from <a href="http://www.photographyblog.com/news/pentax_and_samsung_partnership_not_perfect/">an interview with Mr Toshiaki Iue</a>, Pentax’s Sales & Marketing Director of Imaging Systems back in September 2008, regarding the possibility of a full-frame Pentax camera being developed:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>Pentax are less keen on pursuing the other professional alternative, a high-end 35mm full-frame camera. Mr Iue commented that the company had to choose between medium format and full-frame, as they could only afford to dedicate time and resources to one of them in the short to mid-term. As Pentax have already made a sizeable investment in medium format, they aren’t so far behind and could bring a product to market more quickly than with a pro-level 35mm DSLR. The cost of developing a range of lenses suitable for the demands of a full-frame sensor is also making Pentax think twice. Mr Iue categorically ruled out any move to produce a full-frame camera just for the sake of prestige, reiterating that Pentax had to be able to make a profit from their investment.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I wrote an article on this subject for the Pentax DSLRs blog in that same month: <a href="http://pentaxdslrs.blogspot.com/2008/09/does-pentax-need-full-frame-camera.html"><em>Does Pentax Need a Full-Frame Camera Right Now?</em></a> I would say that nothing has changed in 3 years, but the fact is sensors have improved a lot in this time, making APS-C all the more viable, and Pentax has continued expanding its DA lens line. Add to that the hurting Yen and global crisis making everything Japanese more expensive, and I am even more sceptical of a FF Pentax now than I was in 2008!<br>

<em><br /></em></p>

<p>MIS I would suggest that post is the period at the end of the sentence. There is no reason to build a FF camera system and thus no reason to build a lens much longer than 400mm. In fact Pentax knows how much it costs to develop a long lens, they have done it before in the days where their sales matched Nikon or Canon. They also know how limited the demand is.</p>

<p>They could build a fast mid range zoom or an 85mm and sell bucket loads of them or build a $10K+ 600mm and sell ten.</p>

<p>FF isn't in the foreseeable future and neither is a limited (manufacturing) run long lens. In fact looking at market trends, the opposite are driving forces right now. There are MILC cameras popping up everywhere and that appeals to a much larger market segment. Its also Ricoh's strength</p>