Need to make custom develop preset for import in LR

<p>Hello.<br>

I'm probably just not looking hard enough.<br>

In Lightroom: left-clicking a thumbnail and going into the "develop settings" there are a bunch of presets. How can I make my own presets and get them into that menu? How can I delete the one that I have there. There's lots of crap in there that I will never ever use. You don't need to explain to me every little stupid thing. I'm not an idiot: just kindly point me in the right direction and I'll take it from there. What I really need to do is make a custom preset to use it with every import. Though I've 'told' Lightroom not to apply any settings at import, what it does is: it sets the 'Blacks' value to: 5, sets the tone curve to: medium contrast and applies some sharpening. I want to make a preset to bypass all that nonsense.<br>

Thanks!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I want to make a preset to bypass all that nonsense.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The images have to be set to something. It's not "nonsense," it's just a starting point. How would you bypass it - set everything to zero? What's the difference then? There is no "bypass," there are always some starting settings.<br /> <br />To add your own preset that will show up on the import menu, go into the Develop module with any image, get the settings you want, and add it as a preset by hitting the "+" button in the Presets panel. This should all be pretty obvious, it's consistent with everything else in Lightroom. Once you do that, the preset will show up in the list when you click at the lower right in the Import window.<br /> <br /> To remove presets, you can go into the folder that contains them. The default location depends on your platform and OS.</p>

<p>It doesn't make any sense... I can't be this stupid. What is "Presets panel"? How do I get there?<br>

Really, I've been using Lightroom for years, from the very first version. I DO know how to get to the Develop module but all this "presets" deal escapes me. Sorry... I've been trying to do this for a couple of days now and I'm really baffled.<br>

The other thing... I should have mentioned that about 7 months ago I installed some stupid plugin package that loaded 50 something develop presets into the drop-down menu. I did locate the folder with no problem and deleted all of them yesterday. No changes in Lightroom. They're all still there. Just to double check I went there again and the files did not reappear. I should say that the option of keeping the presets inside the catalogs has always been disabled. I use windows 7, lightroom 3.3 and the folder is at: C:\Users\MZ\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Develop Presets. Please tell me if it sounds right and what I can do to get rid of all that useless crap I've made the mistake of installing. Can't really figure out what it was called. Will have to do some more digging but I must say that I don't want to risk the stability of my system by uninstalling it. I need to get some work done (quite a lot of it actually) and everything's been stable so far.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>What is "Presets panel"? How do I get there?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>In the Develop module at the left, if you have the pane open (in other words, there is no arrow at the edge), you will have, from the top down, the Navigator, Presets, Snapshots, History, and Collections. If you don't see them, then you need to right click on the left hand panel area and check on Presets.</p>

<p>Once you can see your presets, simply right-click on any of them. You'll get a pop-up menu, and one of the options is "reveal in Explorer", choose that.</p>

<p>That will show you your presets in the Windows Explorer. Then delete all the ones you want to get rid of including any folders they're contained in. You need to quit and restart LR for the changes to take effect.</p>

<p>Be careful not to trash anything else.</p>

<p>Thank you so much! A couple of months ago I did some 'cleaning' and I've simply disabled that panel. Had no use of it prior to this and will definitely disable it once I'm done sorting out this little 'mess' and setting up my custom import profile. Thank you again.</p>