super

Can someone please help me and tell me which ones are better. I want

2 good lenses one that goes to 80 or 105 and another that goes to

300. Are the Minolta or the Sigma a better choice,....I am not

worried about the cost of either.

Also, would a 70 or 75-300 lense be better or worse than a 100-300

lense. Thank you all for your help. I am a beginner trying to learn

more!

If money is not a concern, I'd recommend the Minolta 24-105 (D) and the Minolta 100-300 APO (D). If money is a factor, the Minolta 28-80(D) is a good inexpensive start.

The 100-300 APO (D) is a very sharp lens and is much better than most 75-300 lenses. Again, if money is a concern the 75-300 (D) is a good buy.

If you plan on using "P" exposure mode or the "subject programs" such as "portrait", you should get Minolta lenses. I have found through tests of my Minolta lenses (24-105 (D), 70-210, 35-70, and 50mm) compared with my Sigma and Tokina lenses, that the program "expert system" of the Minolta cameras only seems to work with all of its features with Minolta lenses. For example, in "P" mode when the camera detects a portrait scene or when you select "Portrait" mode, the camera will set the aperture based on subject distance, focal length, mmagnification, lighting, etc so that the subject will be sharp but the background will be out of focus. It won't just set maximum open aperture but will change it based on how much DOF it needs. With a non-Minolta lens, the camera will just give a generic program (set shutter speed based on 1/FL and aperture necessary for the lighting.)) If the lighting is bright enough it will give faster shutter speeds and close down the aperture, not what you would want for an auto portrait mode.

On the other hand, if you don't plan to use "P" mode or subject programs, (using A, S, or M modes instead) or are happy with a simple generic P-mode, than any of the lenses are ok.

Thhere is an additional advantage to using a "D" lens (besides the ADI flash metering). When in manual focus mode, most Minolta AF cameras shift from 14-segment exposure metering to a centerweighted metering since the 14-segment mode needs the focusing distance from the AF drive. A "D" lens on the 5 gives that info to the camera so it stays in the 14-segment metering mode even during MF. Most Minolta users feel that the 14-seg mode is extremely accurate.

Tom