Restaurant shots

anda_m

<p>My neighbours and friends recently opened a restaurant .They have invested a lot of time, work and money in it and they were shocked to see the sky high prices professionals ask to take pro pictures of their restaurant. They've asked my help and explained they wanted some images of the restaurant: the pics must show the atmosphere and must be taken while the customers are having dinner (hence in the evening). I'd really like to help them and I'll do my best, but I have absolutely no experience with this type of shots. What worries me most is the light: how do I handle the low light of the restaurant? I use a Nikon D700 which can be used at a relatively high ISO with relatively low noise, but still can't do wonders! <br />Besides taking my widest angle (16mm) and tripod, I can't think of anything else. I have no additional lights besides a 90 cm silver reflector and a small flash unit, but I am not an expert with lighting arrangements. Is there someone who can help with an advice (concerning lighting or to what shall I pay particular attention? ). Any article or site recommendation is welcome. Thanks so much.<br />Anda</p>

<p>How will these images be used (large prints? small images in newspaper ads? web only?). If you don't need a lot of high-res output, you should be able to take that D700's ISO plenty high enough to get tolerable shutter speeds while tripod mounted. Enough shots from a locked-down position will give you material you can selectively stitch together in case a particular part of the scene sees motion blur from a passing waiter or moved drinking glass, etc. <br /><br />If you're not used to using off-camera fill flash while dragging the shutter to maintain the ambience, you should just stick with the available light and let a high ISO value get you through the evening. If you are needing to produce large prints from these shots, you're going to likely need a lot more control over the situation, as well as the indulgence of the dinner guests.<br /><br />Your best bet is to have the owners (who, starting a business, shouldn't be thinking of professional services as being shockingly "sky high"- do they pay an accountant? a lawyer?) find some examples of images that <em>other</em> businesses have created, and which they'd like to emulate. Study those images carefully, and note which ones you think you could mimic using only the available light. Are there windows you can leverage at twighlight?</p>

<p>There are really two (honourable) ways to answer this:<br />The first is to answer the question and that is to first acknowledge that you are correct and should be most worried about the (capturing) light – because that is what will make the photograph.<br />Yes a wide lens would be useful, but so too would be a normal lens and using very shallow DoF and narrow focus – it depends: what atmosphere and what message?<br />I believe that you should use a vast array and <a href="../photo/9197192&size=lg">capture the impulses which appear</a>: probably not that one – but just to show that a narrow field of view can be useful to show “the atmosphere” of a restaurant - and a fine dining restaurant, also.<br />As to the Flash – research “Dragging the Shutter” and “Bounce Flash” - off the ceiling of it is white or a light colour.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p>On the other hand, the reason a professional would charge a reasonable fee is (supposedly) for the experience in working in the low light and also to have the gear capable of doing same and also to have artificial lights that will blend easily with available light to make the scene appear normal to the viewer; but also to enhance it and to make the atmosphere more so.<br />With all due respect to you and also to your friends - it is like asking your friends are they getting the other neighbour to cook for the first few months, because a good chef charges too much as a wage?<br />Basically this revolves around a business decision (for your friends), and it will be less than professional of me if I was not forthright in my answer.<br />Too many businesses fall short by being penny-pinching at the wrong time and for the wrong reasons – if these photographs are integral to launching a successful business, then I suggest they buy fewer: but buy best - and it is very likely that sourcing what might be "best quality work", would be something in which you are versed, better than they.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Hi Anda,<br>

There is a good reason why professional photographers charge large amounts to take on interior shots of a restaurant. Real estate photographers, certainly the very good ones are hard to come by as well. Food photography in itself is a bit of an artform. Look for posts by Luppo within these forums who is something is a great enthusiast of culinary photography.<br>

That said, since you are the 'guy with the camera' and your friend is in need, talk to your friend, the owner and see if he or she is happy to request permission of the patrons at a particular hour to have a few shots taken. This would mean you could use external sources of light. Carefully placed reflectors, slave units on trigger and good use of a light coloured ceiling would make your job a lot easier. </p>

<p>Thanks for your answers. This is an excellent idea : asking them for examples of images they like and trying my best to achieve these. The images will be used only on their web site (hence some noise would be tolerable).<br>

Starvy, I was also thinking of borrowing some strobes from our local photoclub and try some "arranged shots" if we can manage to have enough family/friends in the restaurant acting as customers or just ask the patrons, for a small discount/free drink to accept some flashes while enjoying their dinner. I will practice a bit at home with the strobes before the big event :-). Luckily, they have already some really nice shots of specific thai dishes (thai4you.nl) so they only want interior shots.<br>

And no, Matt, they do their booking-keeping themselves and don't have a lawyer, she cooks and he works also at the bar, they only have a few waiters and another cook, it's mainly a (young) family business (start-up). I told them I am not good at these type of shots and they'd better hire a pro, but if I don't at least try they will for sure believe I don't want to help which is definitely not the case! In my opinion, they do not realize how complex of a job this is and that's why they think paying a pro is not worth the money. Anyway, your feedback is much appreciated! Thanks</p>

<p>Context helps a lot!<br /><br />OK, it's a mom-and-pop operation (which explains the budget/expectations), and it's web-only images. That makes a big difference.<br /><br />The fact that you're going to be showing things at low-res means you've got several stops more latitude, ISO-wise. Use it! It's the difference between, say, 1/8th and 1/60th, and that's the difference between blurry diners and reasonably sharp diners sitting 'round their tables.</p>

<p>I doubt that they need world class award-winning photos. Why don't you just get a fast standard prime lens for your D700. It's not expensive, really. Try some practice runs with it. You might be surprised at the nice ambiance type shots you can get using only the available light. A tripod isn't really going to be that useful, because you're not going to want motion-blurred diners in the pictures, are you?</p>

<p>A fast standard lens will even make taking nice flash pictures easier. Combine it with a flash you can bounce, and you can get some pretty good results. You will need to read up and practice with flash though. At minimum, you will need to balance the colour of the flash with the ambient lighting in the room. Scout out the location and then go in there with some shots already planned out.</p>

<p>If you do take this on, make sure that you have model releases from anyone recognizable in the pictures. This is advertising photography that you will be doing, and you and the restaurant owners could be sued. </p>

<p>Thanks for the extra information.<br />Context of the question, specific details of the start-up enterprise and specific uses of the photos does make a difference.<br />And so does the geographic location apropos the legal situation of releases (for the use of likenesses of people) and also maybe the use of brands or copyright material which might appear in shot: you should be versed in all these; and also any aspects of insurance, especially considering the use of Stobes (meaning light stands and perhaps mains power) as they might apply to the situation in your Country and Location.<br />Even though your friends want to have a people (diners) in the shots – it might be easier (better managed) to mock this up, with a group of family and friends. I would encourage that line of thinking. This way you will have a freer reign over managing the shots and also more time to fiddle and test the bounce flash etc, without the worry of interrupting their eating and the comfort of their night out: realistically I don't think it is a good idea to be interrupting the meals of the first time diners, especially whilst the business is starting up.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>If you are going to interrupt the meals of first time diners it may behoove the owners to comp those diners the cost of those meals. Who knows, it may be a relatively cheap hook that brings them back in! Clearly you should ask their permission and get signed releases for the photos.<br>

As has been stated, I definitely think a trial run is in order here. If the owners are your friends, perhaps you could arrange to take some test shots with and without supplemental lighting from different angles while the restaurant is closed a day or two beforehand. Get the shots down so that your time in front of customers is both painless and professional. Maybe you'll even get future business inquiries.<br>

Another thing to consider, besides obligatory exterior shots, would be to have an image of a gleaming chef proudly dislpaying a meal from his or her kitchen. "Happy help" pictures are very welcoming, if they are presentable of course. An idea may be to center the smiling chef holding out a stunningly prepared main course plate, surrounded by all of the kitchen help, waiters, waitresses, bus boys and owners. The caption for their ad could read something like "It takes every one of us to bring great food to your table", or something cheesy like that.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>