Should polarisers be coated?

gabriele_semeraro

<p>Hallo everybody and thank you for providing your useful thoughts and analysis.<br>

I have just a simple question: most (but not all) top-brand polarisers are coated. I would expect coating to make a difference (in terms of ghosts and reflections), <em>when the sun is shining directly into the lens</em>: i.e. <em>when the polarisers is useless</em>.<br>

Of course, coating may be still provide practical advantages: e.g. you do not need to remove the CPL when not useful. Pheraps, such aspects may be boring, but in the end would not seem to affect image quality when the CPL is actually needed.<br>

Would you expect differences in IQ due to coating, <em>when using polarisers at normal angles</em>? When the sun is not in front of the lens, coating may still improve the outcome?<br>

Thank you very much for your help.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Coating increase light transmission, so yes pol filters should be coated.<br>

If you are using a pol filter to cut reflection from water, "<em>when the sun is shining directly into the lens</em>: i.e. <em>when the polarisers is useless</em>." is not a true statement.<br>

Pol filters are not exclusively for darkening skies.</p>

<p>Gabriele, I like your logic, but light hits the filter even when it is not pointed at the sun, and therefore some amount of ghosting or reflection is always a concern. Go with a coating or multi-coating.</p>

<p>I've owned uncoated polarizers in the past, and now won't even consider buying ones that aren't mulitcoated. Makes a huge difference in avoiding flare/ghosting in my shots. I've had B+W, Heliopan, and Hoya SMC, but have come to like my new Marumi Super the best.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>I had a friend who once had a cheap non-coated Polarizer (can't recall the brand). The sky came out purple! Maybe it was a processing error, but it sure was weird.<br>

As others have noted go with multicoated or even Super Multicoated! There certainly is sticker shock with MC polarizers though and I can understand your issue, I've seen them run into prices that match the price of the lens itself.</p>

<p>Thank you very much for you replies. This was exactly my doubt. I would not mind removing the CPL when pointing at the sun (<em>if</em> this were <em>the only</em> problem). But I understand that coating may pay dividends even in other cases. I will then pay the extra-money and go for a multicoated one.</p>

<p>Single coatings do most of the job of letting through more light. Multicoating is a bit better but increases cost. For a polarizer, single coating is enough. Multicoating is critical when a bright light source will cause ghosts. But, I never pointed a polarizer toward the sun, it always is 90 degrees from the sun. MC will not improve IQ. The polarizing foil quality will affect image to a high degree.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p> I have both, fully multicoated Nikon for nearly $200.00 and Tiffen basic polarizers which are probably not coated at all but I am not sure. Anyway I cannot tell the difference. Both types work fine. But if you wanted to buy the expensive type then I suggest you buy one to fit your largest size lens and then use step down rings for the smaller filter sizes. </p>