CMC in upcoming movie

<p>There is a publicity photo for <em>Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close</em> that shows the boy who is the hero of the picture using a CMC. It's an SLR with a waist level finder, I'm pretty sure 35 mm. The best version of the photo I've found is in the movie's official site, but you have to navigate a little. Go <a href="http://extremelyloudandincrediblyclose.warnerbros.com/">here</a>, click on "Photos" on the top right, and click through until you see the image -- I think it's the second you'll come to. If you're at work, be aware that the movie's trailer will start playing, with sound, immediately after you connect to the site.</p>

<p>Anybody recognize it? I'm not much of a collector at all. The manufacturer's name is obvious in the photo, but it's too blurry for me to read. I also haven't read the book, so I have no idea if the camera has much of a role in the story.</p>

<p>It's a Varex from the mid fifties or earlier as it seems to have the vacublitz contacts instead of the standard PC outlet. <br>

In order to use the magnifying loupe you still have to look <em>down </em>into the viewfinder, so who knows what's going on. I guess we'll have to wait and see...</p>

<p>Hey...nice to see that Max Von Sydow is still at it.</p>

<p>An old-timer like Max ought to have known enough about 1950s technology to tell the kid that he has to look DOWN into the camera in order to aim or focus it.</p>

<p>I hope they did not also use the generic, canned "SLR shutter sound" in the soundtrack!</p>

<p>On my Exakta, I can aim (but not focus) it at eye-level (sighting laterally), but only by flipping open the little hinged door in the folding finder lid.</p>

<p>At least he's not using his right index finger on the top deck to press the shutter release! It looks like his left index finger is in about the right place to be on or at least near the release. But his eye really needs to be looking at the screen, or else he ought to flip open the sport finder. And if he's looking at the screen, his right hand really ought to be around the focus ring, though I'll give him a pass on that.</p>

<p>I can understand how Hollywood always messes up technical details in some subjects, for example aviation, since there aren't many pilots who make movies. But I'd think there would be lots of people on the set who have at least a passing familiarity with cameras, at least enough to know how the viewfinder works.</p>