small kids and babies

julie_lee4

<p>Hi I do my share of high school seniors and families but have not done small children or babies in some time... My studio is in my home so I know that my prices are not ski high...Does everyone give there files away these days and if so how much are you charging? Any idea on how to get these babies back?</p>

<p>This is from a part timer so take it with a grain of salt.</p>

<p>I charge the same for all portrait shoots. The price I charge covers studio time and either a print package or a CD with high and low resolution images. The images are still posted online for sale. Sometimes family members will still buy the prints.</p>

<p>For biker event shoots I don't charge anything for the event but post images online and sell a few prints from there. I also write for a Biker Magazine and I use a few of my event photos for articles I write.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>You should be prepared to 'match wits' with the $10.00 package offered by studios at K-mart, W-mart, Sears, etc. If you can figure out a way to offer 1 -8x10; 3 -5x7s; some wallets; and maybe a key-chain with a photo /// all for $10.00 or less....then you are good to go.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I disagree with Jerry, I would not recomment trying to compete with the chain studios in any way, especially price. You want to separate yourself from their simple formulaic photos by showing your value as a photographer in your own. I'm a new photographer but I have had clients get a package from me (which is much more than $10) and then later go to a chain studio because they are cheaper. They usually come back, because I am offering a higher quality service and product. A great way to get them to come back is to offer a package deal. A popular one for new parents is a set price for a year. For example, a baby's first year package where you photographe them as a newborn, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, and the first birthday. I offer mainly print packages but also cd's. I wouldn't low-ball yourself too much if you offer cd's, it can greatly reduce your profits since many customers will be quite happy with a lower quality print of your nice images. Good luck!</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>When I first started out I knew I needed to get my name out there somehow. What I did was created an event for a whole weekend at a local park. (Beautiful scenery for portraits) I offered a 30 min session and a CD with images for FREE, yes free, no strings attached. That weekend I had 26 people sign up. Let me tell you, it snowballed from there. I'm still shooting most of those clients today, and all of those people told their friends and family etc...and my business has grown all from word of mouth. I wouldn't compete with the chains either, you can't. If people love your work, they will pay. I have clients now that used to go to the chain studios. They would rather pay more for quality images. Some people would rather pay the $10 and accept the so-so images, but honestly, you don't really want those clients anyway. You want people to appreciate your work, not your price tag. ;-)</p>