Japanese vs German Folders

warren_williams

<p>I would like to try a 6x6 folder for mostly outdoor photos. I am thinking of a postwar model to get a coated lens and a newer (relatively) camera. I know the Ikontas and Super Ikontas are generally regarded as among the best but the postwar prices are steep. How do the post war Olympus six chrome and the Mamiya six (older fixed lens folder notthe interchangeable len model) measure up to the Ikonta and Super Ikonta for both image quality and overall level of mechanical quality. I see their prices are quite a bit less and the Zuiko lens has a seemingly good reputation.</p>

<p>Warren,<br /> I can't specifically answer your questions about the Japanese folders (which I did not try yet) but I have quite some experience with German folders, also beyond the Zeiss Ikontas. So for ultimate portability outdoors, excellent image quality in colour and bw, I can recommend the relatively inexpensive (100€/$) Voigtländer Perkeo 6x6 II with Color-Skopar (=4 lens Tessar type) and convenient film counter. Bellows on Voigtländer are usually tight and shutters useable, although times are generally too slow (like 1/300=1/100). Great portable folder...<br /> Best Regards<br /> Thomas</p>

<p>The Franka German folders were very much to my liking. I do own and also use Zeiss Super Ikonta B, prewar 11 exposures only(deliberate factory adjustment to avoid spacing problems).<br>

The Voigtlander folders with Color Skopar are wonderful but watch for parallel lens to film plane issues. Some have less than strong struts.<br>

My favorite American folder is the Ansco Titan 6x6 folder. Beware of patent leather bellows on certain Ansco/ Agfa products, corners wear and film is light struck.</p>

<p>Warren<br>

Don't ignore the pre-war Zeiss Ikonta bodies, especially if you can pick up a 3.5 Tessar. Unless you need to use flash they are excellent cameras. I use a prewar 1938 Ikonta. After shooting around 15 rolls in the space of six months I can say that I am a little more knowledgeable that I was initially. I shoot mainly Velvia through mine. Shoot away from the sun and use the front door as a hood if you are shooting with the sun to your right or left. The Tessar 3.5 is a better performer than the 2.8 when it comes to prewar models and also goes for less. If you are shooting landscape go for an Ikonta rather than a superikonta and learn to scale focus. I have a hotshoe rangefinder that I carry in my pocket when there is the need. However, I shoot at f8 or higher most of the time and have worked out what I can't do.<br>

Go with an Ikonta or Zeiss for that matter. The others made good folders but the Ikontas are really the best!</p>

Thanks, H.P. Warren said he wanted a 6x6 folder for taking photos outdoors. I use mine that way. It's not what I'd use for mf landscape, but for casual outdoor photos nothing is more convenient than a small folder, and with the benefit of a good-sized negative. I can carry mine in my jean's pocket -- nothing more needed except maybe another roll of film. I usually shoot 35mm b&w, but also pocket the Agfa with color film.

In examining a folder, Warren, note whether its rigidity has been compromised. The camera should be straight and tight. One can unfreeze and adjust a shutter and replace a bellows, but structural damage is serious.

<p>I use both German folders (various Voigtlanders) and Japanese. In terms of results, there is little to choose between them if you get good models. My Mamiya 6 is bulkier than some of the others but produces excellent images. I use it mainly for infrared shots these days so definition is not the key element.</p>

<p>Other Japanese jewels are the Fujica Super 6 which has excellent build quality and lens performance but again is a little bulkier. My other favourite is the Takane Super Mine which is not as solid but has a first class lens.</p>

<p>My obsession is with folders with coupled rangefinders and unit focussing (as opposed to front cell focussing like the Zeiss cameras). However, in truth the differences in performance are probably only observable on an optical test bench and for landscape use I am virtually always using hyperfocal focussing so rangefinders are pretty much irrelevant.<br>

My most portable pair are a Voigtlander Perkeo II with color skopar lens and a Konica Pearl III. Both easily fit in a coat pocket and produce fine images.</p>