Viewfinder Brightness 5DMkII

paulie_smith1

<p>Had a chance to shoot back to back with the same lens a 1DMkIIn and a 5DMkII .<br>

The viewfinder in the 5DMkII was much darker than the 1D camera.<br>

Is this normal, or does he have a bad sample of the camera?<br>

Shooting in lower light jazz clubs and pool halls and the like I want a viewfinder bright enough to see as clearly as possible. The 5DMkII doesn't seem bright enough in comparison to what I am used to. I like the image files at higher ISO settings but the dim viewfinder has me holding off on getting one. Am not where I can visit stores that carry them to make a comparison of many bodies for sample variation.</p>

<p> </p>

Maybe his mirror or focusing screen is dirty. I can't imagine the type of 'bad sample' defect that would cause a

viewfinder to look dark. The light comes in the lens, hits a mirror, passes through the focusing screen and the prism.

It's a simple mechanism. Mine isn't any lighter or darker and any other full frame camera that I've used.

Maybe you should hold out for the 1DX.

<p>If you're using the standard screen, the 5D2 has one of the brightest screens possible and I was amazed the first time I peered through one. Sometimes users fit a darker but more contrasty screen for MF. Also, you need to compare them side by side with the same lens. Obviously a F2.8 lens will be brighter than a F4 lens.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>I have both and do not find the 5DII darker than my 1 D IIN. Indeed I find the 5DII viewfinder is the better of the two. They both have about the same magnification (0.72 vs 0.71) but the 5DII is full frame and thus larger. IIs it possible that the 5DII had a EG-S screen fitted and a slower lens. This screen with a slow lens is very dark. In general I find that viewfinders have got darker - my EOS 1 film bodies seem slightly brighter than their digital equivalents and old film bodies (without AF and thus the partially silvered mirror) like my F1s are much brighter. Of course my Leica M6 is better still</p>