IR Conversion

jerry_curtis

<p>In the old days, I could buy a roll of Kodak Infrared Aero film, screw on a filter, and take infrared photos. Now I have to decide on a filter and get a conversion done to my digital camera. Too many choices.<br>

Some people on this site used LifePixel, which charges $450, but is now running a sale for $250. I also found Pro Photo Repair in CA, for $200. There is a substantial difference between $200 and $450 to do this conversion. Even at the sale price, LifePixel is $50 higher. From what I understand, the conversion is a matter of removing one filter and installing another. I could even buy a kit and do it myself - out of the question.<br>

I'd like to hear from anyone who has had a good or bad experience with conversions from different companies. This is not something I want to keep re-doing.<br>

If anyone has any recommendations or advice, I'd be glad to hear it. I could use some help deciding what filter to have them install, since there is a choice of several. I am doing this D70 conversion just for the fun of it, not for any specific need.</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>Just picked up an IR converted D80 for $475 in Toronto. (plus 2 extra batteries, cable releases and a CD of goodies) Given how often I check the ads (not allowed to use CL word) and how many are up here is this part of Canada, it was almost lottery odds that I found it.Means I don't have buy a replacement camera. Life Pixel 720nm conversion. Calibrated for 18-70mm lens. Not exactly IR landscape weather up here in the Great White North at the moment. First indoor shots of the cat with flash turned out rather well. There are a few indoor gardens around for testing.</p>