EOS 20D Shutter Release

gerald_wallace

<p>Perhaps my shutter release mechanism has finally come to the end of it's life - camera bought when new. When I depress the shutter button on my 20D nothing audibly/visually happens for approximately 20 seconds and then the shutter is activated resulting in a normal photo. I am assuming the shutter release solenoid resister/capacitor is no longer in tolerance (leakage)?<br>

I welcome your comments! <br>

(I realize this topic should have been discussed earlier but, I couldn't find this in the database).</p>

<p>I believe this is a common problem for all Canon 20D, 30D, 40D that is called "Sticky Shutter Release" which means you have a bad contact right under the shutter release button.</p>

<p>The "best" solution is already posted on youtube long time ago which is a tricky way how to clean it with alcohol in 30 seconds without removing anything other than the battery. Do it at your own risk though</p>

<p>If the <strong>Self Timer Operation</strong> is activated, the yellow light at the front of the camera, near the grip will flash after the shutter is depressed and until the shot is made.<br>

The delay is about 10 seconds, but it could seem like 20 seconds.<br>

The Self Timer Operation is controlled by selecting the "DRIVE - ISO" button and then selecting the camera "Drive Mode" using the MAIN DIAL (just behind the shutter release) to select either:<br>

Single Shot; Continuous Shot; or Self Timer.</p>

<p>As the description of the "fault" appears to be regular and the shutter releases after a (regular?) duration, then it is likely the self timer, (hopefully for the OP).</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>First, I want to thank you all (William W, John Tran, David Cavin) for attempting to diagnosis and provide answers to my stated EOS 20D problem. Your suggestions solved my problem.<br>

As a experienced photographer it is very painful for me to admit that I overlooked a very simple solution to what I thought was a problem. This is hard for me to admit but the problem was operator error - the self timer was activated! (I have been dealing with a large money issue that my financial institution has admitted they made a mistake). Now that I can think clearly I had no problem discovering and correcting the problem.<br>

Again, Thank you all for your efforts. (Yes, I still feel stupid).</p>