M/A and M Switches on D90

randy_kayle

<p>I have a question, just want to make sure.</p>

<p>If I want to Manually focus my D90 with say a Nikor 70-300 VR11 or 40mm Nikor Micro, dose the <strong>AS/M</strong> switch on the <strong>camera</strong> have to be switched to <strong>M</strong> - while putting the switch from M/A on the lens to M?</p>

<p>Don't want to damaged the camera/ or lens?</p>

<p>Just to clear things up: The body selector switch on the D90 is marked <strong>AF </strong>and<strong> M</strong>, not AS/M, and as John says, only one of the switches - body or lens - need be set to <strong>M </strong>for manual focus.</p>

<p>Also some lenses will allow what's called "Full-Time Manual" focus, and with these lenses the AF switch(es) can be left in AF all the time and the focus ring rotated manually at any time. The zoom lens you have may be Full-Time Manual - check the instructions for it.</p>

<p>In other words... (more simply)</p>

<p>If you set the lens to Manual focus, you can manually focus without AF trying to "take over".</p>

<p>If you set the camera to manual focus, you can as well.</p>

<p>If you set both to manually focus (no need to do this), you can as well.</p>

<p>If you set both to AF (or A/M as it says on the lens) you will be in auto-focus, but can manually override with that particular lens.</p>

<p>Thank you for the resposes, I thought that is what you could do, just wanted to confirm.</p>

<p>The instruction are pretty clear on the 70-300 VR Nikor on the Manual overide when the lens is set to AF/M.</p>

<p>I was using my Lens the other day, and had my d90<strong> body </strong>in <strong>AF</strong> switched, I moved the selector to <strong>M from A/F </strong>on the 70-300 VR, it has a little resistance when turning the focus ring I was just trying to make sure I didn't do any<strong> damage? </strong></p>

<p>Thanks again!</p>