Which bright screen do I have?

robbiebedell

<p>I just bought a beautiful Rolleicord Va. I half expected that when it arrived I would be shopping for a bright screen, as I have owned these cameras in the past and know how dim they can be. But I was pleasantly surprised to see it has a very bright screen. I am aware of the various aftermarket bright screens out there, but how can one tell one from another if there are no maker's labels? This one has a standard gridded screen with no split-image. I have a Beattie in my view camera and know that it has two pieces. This is just a one-piece screen. Thanks in advance...</p>

<p>John, No I have not had a Va, so it is possible that it is the original, but...(Tom) I think it is a replacement because when I got the camera the screen was upsidedown, with the dull side up. I turned it around and cleaned out the inside. That's when I began to really wonder what type of screen it is. I had a Rolleiflex E2 a while back and it had a beattie and it seems as bright as that...</p>

<p>I suppose I could add Brightscreen to the list of candidates but I'm not sure how anyone could be certain on the brand with such a common spec. It might even be a native screen that has been converted- both Maxwell and Brightscreen did this- but its a few years since I bought one. In any case I don't think knowing is a life-changer. If you need to buy another Maxwell is IMO the best of the available brands. </p>

<p> </p>