Leica M3 shutter release problem

<p>Hi all, I have an overall very clean M3 body (Own it since 2 years, some 50+ rolls through), which out of a sudden does not respond when I press the shutter release. I can push it fully down, and it won't fire. But then, sometimes at the second or third attempt, it goes off.</p>

<p>Took out the film, exercised it, and all is fine again. Film back in, it works normally, than it turns back to this intermittend malfunction.</p>

<p>This is one of the smoothest Ms I ever had (And I had more than a dozen over the last twenty years),<br>

I never saw something like this.</p>

<p>Any insight?</p>

<p>Thank you for taking your time, good light,</p>

<p>Best, Knut.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hello Knut!<br /> Well, two things are true of this simple release mechanism:<br /> If the lubricant goes to failure, the release should feel <strong>a bit labored</strong> followed by the eventual <strong>seizing open</strong> of the claw that holds back the 1st curtain. (That would give the symptom of a premature shutter firing at the end of the wind stroke)</p>

<p>Yours on the other hand sounds as if the 1st curtain is being held back (sporadically) even-though the claw has cut it loose. Therefore, one can assume an obstruction near 1st curtain mechanism; <strong>complete lube failure, film reminet or shield baffle felt...</strong></p>

<p>Thanks Rich, and thanks Gus!</p>

<p>Good one again, Gus! Complete lube failure is disclosed for everything on this my M3 is far smooother than any M I ever had the joy to use.<br>

I think there was really rather anything "obstructing" inside the gears/levers.<br>

Well. I shook it gently, spoke my mantras, lit some incense, rewound and reloaded the same roll the third time, and we'll see...<br>

This very specimen did spoil me in fact quite a bit:<br>

Ever after shooting some rolls with this M3 and an M2 (which has a rougher rewind, but equally soft shutter release), I just don't like the "crude" stepped release of the M6 anymore, and have to get used to it all over...</p>

<p>But hey, that's really going too far!</p>

<p>Am I just a too sensible picky camera posh?!</p>

<p>Thing is, once you use a cam with a *perfect* shutter response,<br>

it's difficult to settle for less.</p>

<p>Best wishes and thanks again,<br>

Knut</p>

<p> </p><div>00ZV3y-408431584.thumb.jpg.8f7dfc92bf9b9fbcf733757cea963741.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...