Canon Thursday Photo 2011: #42

nathangardner

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>From a trip to Yellow Stone park. Found these signs in several places and nobody seemed to know what they meant, including the campground rangers.They were always near areas where people might cross the road for a point of interest, yet not all locations included the hoola-hoop part. After close inspection it looks like the loop was added to the sign and not part of the original. <br>

We started to suspect shenanigans, but I photo'd four of these and they were all perfectly aligned and straight. Considering the volume of people and Rangers, it would seem unlikely that this is some sort of prank and yet... there they are ?<br>

Any thoughts or suggestions?</p>

<div>00ZUrD-408289584.jpg.7b4f32c4a831ab710e87a2696d6f3773.jpg</div>

<p>Ok this is Don Kelley - right away when I saw him I knew he was not from Little Rock. <br />I was right he is from the mountains of Gettysburg, PA. I asked him what he was doing here and he said that his girlfriends sisters husband went to Afghanistan and that they came down here to keep her company. He told me he didn't care much for the city life and preferred the mountains. I totally understand - he also told me that at one point he took up a 5 month internship on a 1500 acre goat farm were part of his duties included cutting cedar trees and tending to the farm. Currently he is a line cook for the club "the Rev Room". He's been with his girlfriend Bekah for 3 years and they have a 2 year old son named Lyric. I thought that was cool - he told me that he was pretty artistic , did dance for 12 years specifically ballet and he has since taken up playing hand drums. I found this very interesting and I asked him what else he did as a hobby, he loves to cook and also does a bit of wood carving. I doubt he stays in Little Rock for long...he doesn't have a car and walks to work each day. <br />Thank you for being my 11th stranger in my project. When I asked him if I could take his picture he didn't hesitate and said sure, as I was taking test shots and testing the ambient light I asked his name and said, "take my picture first that way I'm a stranger when you take it" I thought that was clever...I'm glad to say we are no longer strangers and it was a pleasure to talk to you Don. Thanks for the portrait.<br>

<br />For this shot I used the rogue flash bender, it was held by his girlfriend, about 7-10 inches from his face. I am able to use it in ETTL mode with my MINI and FLEX, then stopped it down a stop with the AC3 controller. Having an assistant is really nice, thanks Bekah.<br /><br /><br />This picture is #011 in my 100 strangers project. Find out more about the project and see pictures taken by other photographers at the <a href="http://www.flickr.com/groups/100strangers/">100 Strangers Flickr Group page</a></p><div>00ZV4j-408437584.jpg.2b3993b49384dd27c10d99a8db4dd4d5.jpg</div>

<p>Today I was under the Bean in Chicago.</p>

<p>Looking up from directly underneath gives a good idea of why, after "Untitled" was replaced by the "Bean" name in popular usage, the powers in charge settled on "Cloud Gate."</p><div>00ZV4y-408443584.jpg.7386fa9fc194626c8423bd4b2e3e2132.jpg</div>