Fuji 800Z, NPZ or Superia X-Tra 800

<p>Hi All,<br>

I have read all the back correspondence on this topic, and, as of today, I see that 800Z and Superia 800 are still listed on the Fujifilm website, but none of the major retailers list it or have any in stock. What's the word?<br>

If 800Z is in fact gone from our universe, does anyone have experience of rating 400H at 650 and push processing at 800? <br>

Curious for responses.<br>

Thanks,<br>

David</p>

<p>It has been 6 years since I saw a carefully done picture comparison including Superia 800 and 800Z so this information may be out of date. In late 2005 those two products were very similar. </p>

<p>I am biased, but I've generally selected Portra 800 as the best high speed color film. It is faster than the Fuji offerings (closer to a true ISO 800). It has much finer grain than Natura 1600. I also prefer the color reproduction of Portra 800. </p>

<p>@ John Shriver: There are also Fuji Reala 100 and Fuji 160 NS (both in 120 format) as professional C-41 films. Both films are in production. 120 NS was introduced at Photokina 2010.<br>

Superia 800 is also in production, in 35mm and 120. Excellent film: Significantly higher resolution than Portra 800, and much better color rendition in mixed lighting conditions (with tungsten and/or fluorescent light).<br>

In this case colors with Superia 800 remain much more natural compared to Portra 800, which has an extreme green-yellow cast (fluorescent lighting).</p>

<p>That is also the weakness with the new Portra 400. Fuji Pro 400H performs much better in such lighting conditions.<br>

Both Fuji Pro 400H and Superia 800 have the so called "4th layer technology", which is responsible for the better color rendition in these lighting conditions with artificial light.</p>

<p>Francois, though I've never used the Fuji 800 speed, I've shot many concerts w/out flash with the Portra 800. Any color cast you mention is easily corrected. I do it in P.S., but I would think what Jeff says is true, too. It's absolutely great film, I think. I've also shot the new Portra 400 recently for a concert because I was out of 800 at the time. At 400, it was too slow, but I managed to get several sharp/sharp enough images. The color is beautiful; absolutely exceptional in my opinion, especially reds. Again, I usually easily correct for any color casts. What you say may have been true years ago, but I tend to doubt it seriously with these versions. But in any case, color casts are very easily remedied.</p>