Digipower batteries, anyone try/use them?

jacob_smith1

<p>I'm looking for a backup battery at the moment, since one of my Nikon batteries has died just randomly, it doesn't charge (light blinks a couple of times then goes to a solid "charged" light)</p>

<p>So I'm considering buying a cheapy for now until I order a Nikon one.<br>

I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with Digipower or think it would be safe to use a Nikon battery along with a Digipower in my vertical grip for my D300?<br>

http://www.amazon.com/Digipower-BP-NKL3-Replacement-Battery-Compatible/dp/B0002LGP8S</p>

<p>The reviews are mediocre, but for $20.....?<br>

Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Since I bought my D80 about 5 years ago, I have ended up buying 10 batteries. Four of them were genuine Nikons, 6 of them bargain brands. Failure rate for the Nikons = 50%, all with the same pattern you are seeing. I have had two failures with the off-brands (33% failure), same symptoms. I use a vertical grip and am a little paranoid about running out of batteries on multi-day backpacking trips, or I wouldn't have so many. I am beginning to think buying any battery is a crap-shoot. Your mileage may vary. To my knowledge there aren't any objective studies of OEM vs generic camera batteries that would answer the cost/risk/benefit question. <br>

And, yes, I do mix Nikon and generic in my vertical grip, and have had no problems.</p>

<p>Wally: Coincidentally, I am having lunch with a 'statistical person' as your post came in ... I have a D80 also, but not quite that many batteries ... your battry failure rate is UNUSUALLY HIGH ... we are wondering if ... a surge issue with your charge source ... a charger ... some other issue past the battery? Just a thought ... Also, isn't the correct protocol to run the battery pretty much down before recharging, as opposed to 'topping up'?</p>

<p>Bruce....I think the first few failures were related to a charger issue... I remember reading somewhere here on PN that Nikon chargers aren't perfect either. BTW, almost all the battery failures were during the first couple of years, using the original Nikon charger. Since replacing the charger, I haven't replaced a battery. The run-the-battery-all-the-way-down protocol was true with older nicad batteries, but isn't true with newer lithium batteries. In fact, if you completely discharge a Nikon battery, you loose power to the little chip that identifies it and it won't ever recharge. There isn't a penalty for "topping up." Got a new D7000 six months ago with 2 Nikon batteries. So far, not battery issues. The old batteries aren't forward compatible, so it remains to be seen how the new ones hold up. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have heard so many nightmare stories about batteries leaking and exploding and such....</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yeah! Hair-raising! I heard one about a car called Christine trying to kill people and all, and then all these trucks came alive next to a diner, and then there's some scary guy called Freddy who lives on Elm Street, and, and a friend of mine swears if you say this girl's name three times you'll die in some horrible way... I'm not even going to type her name once...no way, and they put razor blades in every 666th packet of Twinkies and....and.... The urban myths go on and on.</p>

<p>Strangely, I haven't met or heard directly from one person who's even had a 3rd party battery go dead on them unexpectedly, let alone explode. And if third party batteries were so awful, why would some camera companies bother to rewrite their firmware to stop people using them? To protect their customers, or to protect the profit they get from overcharging (pardon pun) inflated prices for their own branded batteries? More likely the latter I'll wager.</p>

<p>I now have only one Nikon En-El3e battery and 5 off-branded ones (another genuine Nikon battery I had gave out on me). I use them all in rotation and haven't noticed a single difference between the genuine Nikon article and the rest. They all hold a charge just as well and work just as long in the camera. If I could get Nikon batteries for just 50% more than those cheapies, then I'd probably buy them, but a price differential upwards of 300% is just a rip off.</p>

<p>Jacob. My advice would be to buy cheap batteries, but from a reputable source. Don't just go for the first internet shop that pops up on your search engine, but do a bit of research into their customer rating etc. WRT mixing brands of battery: Battery grips for the D300 will only use one Lithium Ion battery at a time, even though two are stored in the battery holder. Therefore there's no issue of "mixing" different capacities, states of charge or brands of battery, since only one will be in use at any one time.</p>

<p>The one cheap item I'd steer well clear of is a battery charger. Any brand of Li-ion cell - cheap or expensive - can be damaged if incorrectly charged.</p>

<p>I would only trust a Nikon battery in my $1000 camera. I've tried aftermarket batteries for other things (Wii and XBox remotes come to mind) and have been disappointed.</p>

<p>I'm am still using the original battery and an extra I purchased to go in the MB-D80 grip when I bought my D80 in 2007. I bought a D90 in 2009 and gave my dad the D80 and the new battery that came with the D90. Both original batteries have worked flawlessly and get 600+ shots easily with a little chimping.</p>

<p>@Bruce Brown - no Bruce, you shouldn't run lithium batteries down before charging. Charge them when they hit 20-30% or so if you can. If you need to run it down then do so. </p>