Image Quality of Printable CD/DVD's

<p>I have been printing on CD labels for years and have always found it a bit of an annoying process, because there are usually alignment issues. I finally made the jump this week to some Memorex printable CD's (white surface). THERE HAS GOT TO BE A PRINTABLE CD/DVD WITH BETTER IMAGE QUALITY! I wouldn't give anyone a cd I made for them with the print quality that ends up on this disc surface. I know what I'm doing regarding digital printing and have the best equipment for it. Sooooo, is there a printable CD/DVD out there that actually has similar contrast, tones and colors as the original image? I will just stick with labels if this is as good as it gets. Suggestion? <br>

Thanks</p>

<p>I have no issues printing on Memorex printable DVDs using my Epson Artisan 725 printer. I don't expect the quality to be as good as a presentation print on artisinal paper, but it's certainly good enough to put my, and my client's name on for delivery of files.<br>

I use Epson''s CD Print software with the Epson printer driver, and select "Premium CD/DVD" in the media list.<br>

What printer are you using?</p>

<p><Chas></p>

<p>The quality of the image depends a lot on the printer, medium and calibration. It's very hard to calibrate printing on a disc, because the size and shape of the disc is not amenable to the calibration process. You just fit a 16 patch test strip which can be read, but it's better than nothing. Some media have smoother surfaces than others. The smoothest is found on JVC (nee Taiyo-Yuden) "Watershield" discs, which is as glossy as any inkjet paper and nearly smear-proof. JVC discs are generally very good, as are Verbatim discs. I've had too many problems, data-wise, with Memorex discs to ever consider using them again.</p>

<p>I print using a Microboards PF-Pro disc printer, which uses four separate ink cartridges (CMYK) with Hewlett-Packard pigmented ink. The colors are a little brighter than I might get with a 7-color printer, but quite satisfactory. I've also had good results with inexpensive Epson printers, using their Ultra-Chrome dye based inks.</p>

<p>Using paper labels on discs is not a good idea. The labels buckle with humidity changes, especially in cars, where thay can cause expensive jams. These changes may also result in damage to the coating on the disc, making them unreadible.</p>

<p>I've used various printable DVD/BDR discs. There is some variation from brand to brand but this variation has never been a factor in terms of a sale. I package them in DVD/jewel cases. The small variations as well as the fact that they don't quite match the original image, when compared monitor to print, is simply not an issue, at least for me. As Edward noted, the inexpensive Epsons with dye inks are quite satisfactory.</p>

<p>Thanks for the help. I use an Epson Photo R2880. I guess I could fool around with these CD's a bit more. Maybe I should try another brand to see how different they are if at all. I see good quality disc printing all the time so something must work. I just didn't expect my results to be as bad as they are. I get a better prints off of regular 8.5x11 stock paper for letters.</p>

<p>I got it worked out to my satisfaction. I just never expected default settings to produce such low quality. Thats usually what I use when I don't have a paper proflie. All I had found initially was how to make the image lighter or darker in Epson Print CD. Later I saw "print manually" and I realized I could change the setting on my R2880 printer to high quality. Problem solved. Now I just need to find a CD/DVD that is not white all the way to the center. Clear out of the printable area would be better. Anyway thanks for listening.</p>

<p>Paul</p>

<p><em>Now I just need to find a CD/DVD that is not white all the way to the center.</em></p>

<p>Both types are readily available, but you pay more for hub-printable discs. It's the difference between a 15mm hole and a 30mm hole. The hub area is usually of lesser quality than the rest of the disk, but it makes a more attractive finished product.</p>

<p>Frankly, I don't understand the fuss. You are selling what's in the disc, not what's printed on it. Design your graphics to take advantage of the disc and avoid the problem areas. It just has to be good enough, not museum quality.</p>

<p>OK, new problem. After setting the printer to high quality CD/DVD printing, it is now nearly 24 hours later and the CD smudges if I lick my finger and rub it. Not good. Any recomendations on a CD/DVD that I can print on at "high quality " setting and not have this issue? Once again I have an Epson R2880 printer.<br>

Thanks Ed for your comment, but I am of the school of thought that presentation is very important so I want the best image on my CD /DVD covers...just me.<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>No CD/DVDs are going to be water-resistant. It's not the cd or the printer, it's the fact that the inks are water-soluble and they are not adsorbed by the plastic of the cd.</p>

<p>If water-resistance is absolutely necessary (and I don't understand why this would be so), you might look into spray coatings, but be careful here that you don't interfere with the data integrity in any way.</p>

<p><Chas></p>

<p>Charles it is necessary. My finger was a little damp and there was an impression of my fingerprint on the CD...not professional. I have a CD in my hand as I type, given to me by a blues player down in Miss a couple of months ago. I can't get the ink to smudge. It doesn't smudge when I wash a DVD to try to get it to stop pixilating either. There has got to be a way to do this at home without using labels. I'll get it figured out somehow or I will just continue to use labels.</p>