5D + 85mm 1.2II or 5D Mk II + 85mm 1.8

boris_kustodiev

<p>I have the 7d, 5d, and the 5dmii and by far my favorite is the 5dmii. The high iso is so much better in the mii version but my least favorite is the 7d I only have it for the faster focus. I did 2 shots in the dark with just a little light on tripod at 3200 and 6400 iso of a boat at the marina around midnight and its hard to tell the differance. They are in my gallery if you want a comparison. That in itself is a full stop and add the 1.8 you will have a faster shot in my opinion.</p>

<p>I have a 5D MK I, and love it when I shoot with the 85 1.8. I know the ISO performance of the MK II is better, but at about twice the price as the MK I. I have never used the 85 1.2L, but I have done my research, and for most purposes the 85 1.8 would serve you well. I am sure that the bokeh and image quality of the 1.2 lens would be better, but I have also read that the AF of that lens is not very fast compared to the 1.8. I am attaching a portrait I shot this weekend to show you what the 5D MK I and the 1.8 lens is capable of. This portrait was shot at ISO 200 f1.8 with a flash and shoot through umbrella. I know that you would never do this with street photography, but I wanted to show how shallow the depth of field is at 1.8 (very thin!). I can't imagine trying to shoot this at 1.2. Her eye are pretty sharp, as well as her mouth. Her nose and the rest of the image are soft.</p><div>00ZXw8-411583584.jpg.706f015652636ba2979628a153366d73.jpg</div>

<p>I think the old 5D+85/1.8 gives very acceptable results. Having used the 85/1.8 for some time, if I was to make a change it would be to get the 5D MkII (In fact, that is the plan I have).<br>

5D MkI +85/1.8, f2, 1/125, iso-400<br>

<a title="West London Aero Club by Peter Meade, on Flickr" href=" West London Aero Club src="http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6235/6280622973_2d94948d12_z.jpg" alt="West London Aero Club" width="640" height="426" /></a></p>

<p>Another vote for the 5D2 + 85/1.8 lens. I have used both the 5D and it's Mark II brother (I own a Mark II), and there is a marked improvement in image quality and image capture capability.<br>

The 85 1.8 is one of the most highly regarded lenses in the entire Canon stable (and that is saying a lot!), so I highly doubt you could go wrong with that body/lens combination.</p>

<p>I've shot with both the 5D and 5Dmk2, and both 85 1.2 and 85 1.8. The 5D is very old. The 5dmk2 is even nearing the end of it's life (released in 2008). I would defiantly reccomend going with the 5dmk2. So many things are better. As for the lenses, I would recommend renting them and testing them out. For me the 85 1.2 is has a very limited usage. It's autofocus, while faster in the II version is still slow and its heavy as a tank. It was too slow for the bicycle race i was shooting, but nevertheless the images look magical. I had rented it for a portrait session and the portrait session fell through, and the bike race came up. All in all, it would have been much better for the portrait session. The 85 1.8 is very sharp for a non-L. Much lighter too. I would recommend it since it's more practical.</p>

<p>I shoot with the 5DII and 85 1.2L and would love to sell it and replace with the 85 1.8. Also the 85 1.2L is way too big, heavy and obvious for outdoors street shooting. It stands out so much it really attracts unwanted attention as you can tell from across the street it is expensive. I would go with the 28 1.8, 50 1.8 and 85 1.8 and still have money to spare. Also, focusing at night with the 85 1.2 @ 1.2 is extremely difficult. Autofocus is extremely slow.</p>