Gear upgrade advice for my D90

richard_gribbons

I am an enthusiastic amateur shooting with a D90. I love shooting street and macro pictures along with family portraits. My current lens

line up is ;

Tamron 17-50 f2.8 XR DI II SP (it's hardly off my camera)

Nikor 70-300 f4.5-5.6

Tamron 90 mm f2.8 macro

Nikor 50mm f1.8

I do a little landscape and low light/ night shooting and would like to develop this more along with the above.

Am I missing something or should I consider upgrading anything to bring things on a bit more?

<p>I have the identical setup, along with a Nikkor 10-24 and a Sigma 150 Macro. What you have is pretty useful and I, too, go a long time with that Tamron 17-50 attached to my camera. Peter mentions an ultra-wide zoom and I have indeed found that my 10-24 Nikkor is useful in certain landscape situations. The tripod suggestion by John is also huge--with a tripod you can really make a noticeable difference in image quality (turn VR off on your 70-300). Another way to improve your images...short workshops and classes--that's what I'm doing and this will probably yield better results than me buying a new lens. Good luck!</p>

<p>Hi Rich,<br>

Another D90 shooter...Same lens 17-50 2.8...Also 50 Nikkor 1.8..70-200 2.8 Sigma.(I shoot sports) and a 70-300 APO Sigma. I agree with all the other posters...great kit...buy a great tripod!...<br>

Have Fun!<br>

Mark</p>

<p>You definitely have enough lenses for landscape, especially considering that you usually want to stop down to f/5.6 - f/11 (or more!) for it. Given that your lenses are all respectable, unless you have some personal qualms about the performance of any of them, just do what everyone else is saying, and go get yourself a tripod and good ball head! I recommend choosing one of the manufacturers' quick release systems and going with it. I use Manfrotto, just because that's what my dad used. My friend uses Giottos and does just as well with his.</p>

I have a manfrotto 190xdb and 484 ball head. I thought about upgrade to something with removable centre column to let

me get lower and possibly different head for better control, what do you think?

Also thinking about sb700 and some filters.

I am fairly happy with my lens setup but I was just thinking whether I was missing anything or could change out for

something at gives sharper images. I might take a look at the sigma 10-20 though.

<p>I agree with Mark's suggestion...As a D90 owner with lenses of similar focal lengths as yours, the purchase of a Sigma 10-20mm lens may open a new avenue of photography for you. Granted, it may only get used about 5-10% of the time, but its worth it to carry in the right situations. Good luck!</p>

I've been using a 35mm prime to great advantage. With the improvements in software these days, I simply shoot a sequence of

overlapping frames and stitch them to whatever size needed for the landscape.

Beyond that, the 35mm prime will be a normal lens (close approximation to how the eyes sees) and I have observed that this generates

the most natural images. Lastly, I'm a big fan of primes for their clarity. Run them as wide open as the required depth of field will permit,

and you really can't beat the sharpness.

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I have the manfrotto 190 with a 484 ball head. I just picked up a 410 geared head as I am sick of the ball head "drooping". I'm considering an sb700 and one of the tokina's (11-16 or 12-24).<br>

The 70-200 is interesting. I am trying to start using the 70-300 more but the more open aperture of the 70-200 may be useful.<br>

Any thoughts on whether the nikon 17-55 would be an improvement in performance or any point considering the 24-70?</p>