Camera cannot communicate with the battery grip (Canon 7D)

amir_vii

<p>I ordered a Vello BG-C4 Battery Grip for my canon 7D. From the very first moment that i installed the grip I got a message on my 7D saying the camera cannot communicate with battery. I'm sending back the grip for a refund but I'm just wondering if i should be worried about my camera being defected. Is the problem with my camera or the grip? The batteries work fine without the grip and the camera communicates with the batteries with no problem. But as soon as i put the grip on that's when i notice the problem. The thing that worries me the most is the fact that i'm going away on a trip next week and i will be away for a month. The purpose of my trip is a photography project I'm working on and since i will be in middle east i will have no access to any Canon repair centers. Do you guys think there is a problem with the camera or its just the grip thats causing problems?</p>

<p>the camera seems to be working fine without the grip, the batteries communicate with the camera and the camera seems to be functioning properly. I can't get my hands on a Canon grip since I'm very tight on budget and the Canon grip is around 200$ on B&H with duties and shipping costs. I might be wrong about this but since the camera can communicate with the batteries without the grip, doesn't that mean the camera is fine? i might be wrong though.</p>

Seems as though you have already tested the camera without the grip and it is working OK.

Since you cannot get a genuine Canon grip - all the more important to take a back up

camera body.

Also, forgot to mention...If you are going out of the country ?

Check about customs and declarations and fill out a separate sheet for each

camera and for each lens - If you have to.

<p>unfortunately i just sold my backup body since i needed a new lens for my trip. I'm just hoping there is nothing wrong with the camera. I just did an hour shoot with it, and didnt notice any problems with the camera and batteries. I'm hoping that there was something wrong with the grip and not the camera since the camera seems to be working perfectly fine right now. Could there be still a problem with the camera if the camera only has problems with the grip and not the original batteries?<br>

Thanks for reminding me about the customs. I totally forgot about that. I'm flying from Toronto, Canada. I just checked the airport's website and can't find the forms. I will just give them a call tomorrow and ask them where i can find the papers. I'm traveling from Toronto to Iran with a stop in Frankfurt (Germany). I have been told because of security reasons and possible problems in Iran's airport i should put my camera and lenses inside my baggage that i will check in. I guess i will have to wrap all my lenses so it doesnt break.</p>

<p>I wouldn't worry about it. Many of the 3rd party grips have 'comms' issues w/ the LP-E6s when you use 2 batts in the BG. A lot of 3rd party LP-E6 clones don't even have the chips to 'communicate' in the first place. Overall, not something to worry about. Checking your cameras and lenses? far more worrisome!</p>

<p>thanks Marcus, what do you mean checking your cameras and lenses more worrisome? do you mean in Iran? because if you mean i'm freaking out over that. I don't think i have the guts to just take my camera on my carry on bag. I have the 70-200mm and two other lenses. You never know the business with these people, they might call you a spy or something and take your camera away from you!</p>

<p>I dealt with this issue on several different Canon digital bodies. What I found was that the clones I got had problems, but that they were the same problems that also occurred on the OM grips.</p>

<p>On the Rebel/xxxD bodies the tripod screw is located so that it holds the grip tightly to the body and makes good contact in the battery compartment. However, on the xxD (of which the 7D is a modernization and extension, so I suppose the same problem) bodies, the tripod screw is located so that the "flex" in the grip can cause intermittent loss of connection. At least that seems to be the case, so far as I can figure out.</p>

<p>My solution? Won't be too satisfactory to you: I just don't use the grips any more.</p>

<p>By turning off the "chimp night light", and only looking at pictures when I press the view button, I find that a single battery will normally go for a full day of constant shooting.</p>

<p>I meant checking them into baggage at all! (not just into Iran) I figure I don't mind taking an extra hour going through security if it means my gear never leaves my side... just me maybe... Obviously Iran might be a little different (I'm not sure what the 'tipping' policy is in regards to Iranian security), but I wouldn't think that putting them into your baggage would make any difference whatsoever (your bag has your name on it), other than to mitigate impressions as you are walking through security (sometimes very important).<br>

On the plus side, you are flying in from Canada, NOT the US, probably a whole different level of scrutiny...</p>

<p>You are right marcus, i won't be putting any of my equipment in the baggage! i will just take it with me and if they want to stop me they will do it anyways regardless of where i put it<br>

I also went to a local camera store today and tried the Canon grip on. It worked fine so the problem was with the cheap vello grip which i returned now and i ended up purchasing the canon grip instead.<br>

Thanks everyone for the help</p>