Photography Advice and Tips Wanted

puppyluva1991

<p>shoot what you love or has meaning to you, but also just shoot for practice<br>

learn the technical aspects (shutter speed, aperture, depth of field, metering and exposure, focal lengths, light, shade and fall off etc) but don't get bogged down by it all - don't let it stifle your creativity<br>

learn about the "rules" of composition but don't be afraid to break them<br>

study photographers or images that you like and try to understand what you like about them<br>

use them as inspiration but try to develop your own "voice" (style) in your images<br>

work out what it is about your own images that you said were "really good" that you liked. Can you reproduce that, improve it, apply it to a different subject?<br>

keep an eye on art, culture, architecture, fashion, music, politics, events anything where inspiration can come from<br>

previsualise your images before you take them, learn to "see" a scene<br>

try to determine your motivation for taking images, what are you trying to say to your audience?who are your audience?</p>

<p>have fun and keep practicing!</p>

<p>The best way to learn photography is primarily through experience. The secondary ways are clubs, forums and books/magazines. The least useful is to study formally, but some people do that anyway - not for the 'qualification' but because it offers a more social atmosphere in which to learn.</p>

<p>I've repeated the Two Commandments for photographers many times, but a lot of people approved of them so I'll repeat them yet again:</p>

<p>1. Take lots of photographs.</p>

<p>2. Look at lots of photographs.</p>

<p>It's okay to learn slowly. And it's okay to shoot for no real reason other than that you just like the scene or subject.</p>

<p>Some photographers get away with not knowing much technical information. But it can't hurt and anyway the technology is there to help you if you want it. You can learn with cheap cameras or expensive ones. There is no 'beginner's camera'. All cameras are beginners' cameras.</p>

<p>I have taken an interest in motion photography almost as long as I've been into stills. Perhaps another, indirect avenue for learning about photography - particularly composition - is to watch some well shot movies. Just IMHO.</p>

<p>Ultimately you don't need anyone's approval or permission or certificates, so...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>have fun and keep practicing!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>My 2ct:<br>

Karim is completely right:<br>

1) Practice (most imortant)<br>

2) Looking at a lot of pictures of others---and then trying to find out, how they were taken. That gives you an eye for what composition might work, what apperture to use, the focal length, the background (and how well it needs to be controlled) ...<br>

3) And then, sometimes, read about it. The most helpful thing was for me: Do not center the subject, unless you know better (aka: "Rule of Thirds").</p>

<p>Fully agree with what the others already said; and to extend a bit on what Rob said.<br>

There are a bit two sides to photography: a 'technical' part, and a 'creative' part.<br>

The technical part is how to operate and use your camera, in short. Most important in that is understanding light and understanding exposure. There are basics in photography you have to learn - in the way of learning that fits you best. If you're OK with learning from books, I can wholeheartedly recommend Bryan Peterson's <em>Understanding Exposure</em>. But alternatively, look for photograpy courses, or maybe find an experienced photographer who is willing to explain, guide and coach you. We all have different ways of learning, so this is mostly up to you what works best.</p>

<p>The creative part, there Karim's words are worth gold. Look, look, look and look again. One thing that helped me a lot is learning to describe why a certain photo works for you, and another one not. Learn to "identify" how an image works, how you look at it and perceive it. This isn't always easy and takes time. A very good book for this, I think, is Michael Freeman <em>The Photographer's Eye</em> - but it's a book I'd recommend tackling after you feel comfortable in using your camera. Again, also for this (composition, design and how people 'see' things, basically), the guidance of an experienced photographer can be great. Somebody who will honestly tell you what they think of your photos, and how you could remedy shortcomings.</p>

<p>Seek subjects that you like, but also seek to do things you didn't try and even not like. Experiment a lot, just try for yourself if something works or not. Look at light and shadows. Challenge yourself. When you are in a nice place, walk around a lot and look for other angles to see the subject. Don't immediately take a photo, but look at what might be a more interesting image. Learn the rules, and then break them.<br>

And have a lot of fun doing it.</p>

<p>1. Photograph what interests you.</p>

<p>2. Be yourself. Don't do what others do just because everyone is doing it.</p>

<p>3. Be patient. Like anything else, it takes time to be good at photography.</p>

<p>4. Take a course or do some reading on your own. Some good basic books are: "Understanding Photography Field Guide" by Bryan Peterson, "National Geographic Complete Photography", and "LIFE Guide to Digital Photography" by Joe McNally. Peterson's book is probably the best for a newbie.</p>

<p>5. Do a lot of shooting. The first few thousand shots are the hardest.</p>

<p>6. Most important of all is HAVE FUN learning. It's a hobby. Enjoy it!</p>