c_l4

I understand there were a few discussions on this, but just want to

check with you all for the latest. I will be posted in Singapore

for a few months soon and was wondering whether there are good photo

equiptment stores there. I am looking for a shop where they carry a

wide selection of lenses, filters, tripods, and of course,

reasonable pricing.

Look forward to your feedback. Thanks.

There are camera shops abound in Singapore, mostly if not cheaper than what US retailers sell them for. The exception IMO would be Hong Kong.

Lucky Plaza in downtown Orchard Road (that's in the CBD) has quite a few shops but they love touting and swindling tourists. Peninsular Plaza is also within the CBD area but has better shops there but be wary of Cathay Photo (http://www.cathayphoto.com.sg/). They offer crap downright rude service and will randomly up the price when tourists are involved BUT they do have the biggest store there and a LOT of equipment on display. They also have 2 branches, another in Marina Square, I suggest you go there to check out prices. In fact you can do that online at their website. Back to the point, Peninsular Plaza and Hotel have numerous shops - many of them smaller but they give you better service and prices for which you can bargain down and though they may not have the equipment that you want, they can order it for you within a few days, be it from the D1X, tripods to bowens' monolights.

Funan Centre, next to Peninsular Hotel, has a friendly and knowledgable shop by the name of John 3:16 - yes, you would expect that to be a christian bookshop but no. Family-run business so it's a nice atmosphere but as it's a more upmarket shopping centre, overheads are higher and therefore the prices (but just marginally).

Alley Photo has quite a few branches around town but have had more than 1 bad experience with them (arrogant staff) and it's not just me. Just last week I had a friend there who was incensed at their curt attitude.

All these shops will be able to get you digital equipment too but if you wanna go hardcore, go to Sim Lim Square which houses 100-200 computer retail shops selling everything from iMACs to thumbscrews and which is fully packed on weekends from levels 1-6. They sell digital gear there as well and I know someone who bought an S2 Pro (S$3550) and 1 GB IBM Microdrive (S$390) there 3 months ago in early Aug when it just hit the market. In any case, it'd be best if you shopped around for the best prices, get a feel of the shops and decide which one you would like to frequent most. 'nuff said